Thread: Quesation on cnc for cutting angles

Quesation on cnc for cutting angles

Knowing nothing about what a cnc can do but a friend offered to cut some wedge templets for me and I was wondering how accurate of a angle they can make.
    The templates would be used to cut wedges for 28, 37, 38, and 39 pieces rings. My guess that 3 decimal places would be ok.
    I have made others using trig and radial arm saw to cut, then fine tune, but was hopping his cnc cuts would be good on first try.

Thanks
    Bob

The CNC machine is capable of "splitting hairs" when it comes to accuracy. As long as the person creating the CAD/CAM is accurate in their drawing and they have a quality machine that doesn't deflect when cutting, the angle will be exactly as specified.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The accuracy of the angles I've cut are as good as any means I have of measuring them. I've made 12 sided rings that close up w/o visible gaps. The problem I had was the cut edges weren't square until I figured out the right combination of bit style and cutting parameters. Once I had that in hand, perfection.

John

Most CNCs worth their salt range from 0.005 down to 0.001 repeatability. Mine specifies 0.001 and I can attest that in my experience measuring and empirically, it is well within that tolerance. This assumes no pilot error in chip load and selecting the proper bit. If I CNC a 90-degree cut, it's 90-degrees, same goes for 45, etc. If I were using these templates for measuring, I would be sure to use plexiglass, aluminum or at least 13 ply birch/MDF because the wood movement is probably the area where accuracy will suffer, not in the CNC.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 07-13-2023 at 12:02 PM.