Thread: Garage Window Replacement

Garage Window Replacement

Hi all, I've got one of those small windows in my garage (about 1' x 2')that's embedded into the foundation of the house. It's fifty years old, bent, won't close properly and has a broken pane. Does anyone have any experience with replacing them? I'm turning the garage into my workshop, and would like to upgrade it if possible. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Can you say Glass blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nock
    Hi all, I've got one of those small windows in my garage (about 1' x 2')that's embedded into the foundation of the house. It's fifty years old, bent, won't close properly and has a broken pane. Does anyone have any experience with replacing them? I'm turning the garage into my workshop, and would like to upgrade it if possible. Thanks.
    I would strongly recommend glass blocks.. They are pretty easy to install and are really tough. If you wanvetilation, you can get vents with them as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nock

I did glass blocks for an odd sized opening like that......Good way to go if you have the time to do it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Winders

I have the same type of windows in my Basement Paul. Mine are getting a little tired also. I have been told that there are replacement windows for this application, in Vinyl, I think. I haven't checked out the Depot or Lowes, but they may have something along this line, or can order them. Glass Block has crossed my mind, and I may go that route, but I want to check out the windows first. I would rather have the windows myself..............security is better with glass block, but I like the fact that I can open the windows and air out the basement on the nice spring and fall days. Now that it is in my mind, I will have to check it out the next time I am at the Depot.

Good suggestions, now a decision ...

Thanks for the advise guys. Glass blocks are a good option that I would have never thought of. That would really seal it up good. Ideally, I'd like to keep it a window since it will be my only link to the outside world, and I want to be able to hook up some ventilation as part of a KD finishing area somewhere down the line. The humidity is horrible down there, my tools have been boxed up since I moved in in March, and are already showing some rust. A new window will give me the flexibility I want while sealing the area more than the existing window, so I can fire up a dehumidifier, and start controlling the humidity a bit.

Thanks again,
    Paul

Blog Entries

My basement!

Your post just reminded me. My basement has the same type of windows. Years ago, when I became concerned about heating costs, I purchased cutom made vinyl storm windows for the outside. These were mounted to the concrete block and completely sealed off the window. They have a removeable glass that could be replaced witha screen, but I've never opened them.

I'm sure you can still get custom vinyl windows made.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute