Thread: cabinet on a stand, attachment

cabinet on a stand, attachment

Looking for ideas on how to make a cabinet-on-a-stand (like a Krenov-style cabinet) so that the cabinet is easily detachable. I need for the whole assembly to be solid and stable in place, but would like to be able to remove the cabinet portion to move separately.

It's basically a box on top a set of aproned legs. I'm thinking of what kind of hidden hardware I can use to make a quick disconnect feature. Or another non-hardware way to do this. I considered stopped sliding dovetails on the bottom of the box, but hoping for something easier. Any ideas welcome.
    < insert spurious quote here >

How about threaded inserts in the box and recessed Allen head screws in the apron
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I must be missing something. The obvious approach is screws up through the stand's top into the underside of the cabinet. Yet you've rejected that?

How about “figure 8” fasteners like you would use on a tabletop? They would accommodate wood movement.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Jamie & Rob, I was looking to avoid using connectors like screws where there would be wear at the screw holes by screwing and unscrewing into bare wood. The threaded inserts is a good idea, Steve. I was initially trying to think of some kind of latching mechanism that could be quickly unlatched without damage when needed.

My goal, for a while, has been to make furniture that is easy to move, thus accommodating easy disassembly.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 07-08-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Here is what I am making. Krenov inspired. It is a jewelry armoire. There are six drawers inside of a cabinet. The cabinet is attached to the table top. The table top is attached to the base using slots and z table top fasteners (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2MDLNB...roduct_details), I will then use my domino to cut a slotted hole in the base table to allow for expansion and contraction, and it will screw to the bottom of the cabinet box. There are two swing doors on either side that will hold necklaces. Hope that is understandable. The unit will weight around 150 # as its solid mesquite except for the 1/4" backer, so I will need to break it down to move it.

Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, August 22, 2023_18h50m01s_004_.jpg
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

You could just use a tenon of some sort and have the top sit on the bottom locked by the tenon