Thread: small dowel pins

small dowel pins

Looking for a source for accurately sized 1/8" or 3/16" dowel pins or dowel rod.

I use bamboo skewers for small dowels.

https://woodpeckerscrafts.com/wooden-dowel-rods/

Cannot attest to their accuracy, but seem to be pretty consistent size.

Lee Valley has 1/8" and 1/12" X 6" micro dowels that seem to be pretty much on the money. No 3/16" though.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Looking for a source for accurately sized 1/8" or 3/16" dowel pins or dowel rod.
    The last dowels I bought from these guys were considerably larger than what you're looking for but they sell nice products.
    https://woodpeckerscrafts.com/wooden-dowels/

Unless you're not using a billion of them, you might consider buying or making a dowel-making plate and "spin your own" to exact dimension. Buying "accurate" diameter dowels is a challenge because moisture changes size...and shape...just because, even for the "best" products you might be able to buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cincinnati Dowel is my goto dowel source for any need more than a single rod or 2. I've not purchased any stock that small but the 1/2" and 3/4" dowel I have bought from them has been a very nice fit to drilled holes of that size. So that probably makes them a few thousandths under their nominal size.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 07-03-2023 at 10:13 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

If you have a Hobby Lobby they have small diameter dowels 12" long in bags of about 22 pieces for I think it was $3.50 ish??

Most commercial dowels aren't round, because they are made by passing stock between to cutting heads.