Thread: How to mount a wall turning

How to mount a wall turning

I am turning a large platter to be hung on a wall. I haven't done this before and am not sure how to actually mount it on the wall. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Greg

You can search for plate hangers since you basically have a wooden plate.
    Here is one suggestion from Cdn Amazon that does not require putting screws or glue onto the platter:
    https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell-Hanger-...zcF9tdGY&psc=1

I'd be worried about spring loaded hangers if the platter has much size and weight at all. I bend up 1/16" uncoated brazing rod to make my own plate hangers. I haven't bought rod in a long time, I bet it really got expensive. Well not real bad, $38/pound on Amazon. That's 29 pieces, 36" long rods.

Just a thought, but how about using the mortise on your plate like a french cleat. Turn a mating piece and cut it into two pieces such that one half (less than half so it fits into the mortise) can be mounted on the wall. Hang your piece from the cleat.

What about a tiny shelf with a lip along the top's perimeter to retain the bottom edge of the piece. No bracket sort of thing and just deep and wide enough to the display piece. Maybe something of contrasting color (i.e. walnut vs maple)

Thanks for the ideas