Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nederman S series dust collectors

Nederman S series dust collectors

Hey everybody,

I moved shops somewhat recently and am in the process of redoing my dust collection setup. I’m pushing the limits of my current Oneida 5hp cyclone, and am interested in feedback from others who have used the Nederman s series indoor collectors. I have a fairly small shop (2000 sq ft) with 12 drops and pretty much never have more than two machines running at once. I’ve read the other threads, but am hoping to find feedback from folks who have used or are currently using the Nederman or similar collectors. Thanks

Edited to say that if this post is more appropriate in the workshops section please move it to the most appropriate area and apologies!

Never heard of the company. Checked their website they have no s series? is it some obsolete unit?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Never heard of the company. Checked their website they have no s series? is it some obsolete unit?
    Bill D

Here’s a link if allowed:

https://www.nederman.com/en-us/pws-c...dust-collector

I don’t have experience. I’ve heard good things about the brand from cabinet & millwork shop chatter online. Also interested to hear more from anyone with hands on experience in comparison to ~5 hp cyclones. The noise levels look very appealing. How is their filtration rated in comparison to ClearVue / Oneida?

What is the price range for the S-500, for example? Didn’t see pricing easily on the link.
    Still waters run deep.

S-500 runs around $9k and the S-1000 is around $12k with the 750 split down the middle. I’m also very attracted by the noise factor

S-1000 is the most common one. Nedermans are solid, but only sold to the industry, so it makes sense that some have not heard of them. The price that was mentioned seems about right. FYI that I personally don’t find them to be any quieter than other brands. It’s just that cyclones are loud.

Erik

I've got an S-750 (Its Dantherm branded, but the newer Nederman's are the same). To me the 750 is a sweet spot - you get the same filter area as the 1000 and very close to the same CFM if you aren't pulling long distances in small diameter pipe. It is nice and quiet compared to the cyclone that is used for the rest of the shop. The Beane filter material is great, and I have it on the cyclone baghouse as well. The S-1000 comes up at auction pretty regularly and seems to sell for around half of new price. Cyclone blowers generally pull higher static pressure than this type, so use larger diameter duct and shorter reduced size branches for best results.
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 06-30-2023 at 4:32 PM.
    JR

Thanks JR, that’s the exact type of feedback I was hoping for. My initial interest was in the 750, but the sales rep I’ve communicated with is pushing the 1000. If a used 1000 came up for sale in my area I’d jump on it, but I feel the 750 would be more appropriate for my needs. How big of an area/ how many machines does your 750 handle?

I have a 10' x 15' main line that branches to 2x6" + 2x4" for the widebelt, then continues for about 10' as an 8" line that branches to 2x6" for a brush sander. I typically have a gate closed at the brush sander, but it is all open when that machine is used and it collects everything. I have a friend with an S-500 that he got cheap and he is not happy with it for whole shop use. I think that's more of a single machine solution.
    JR

Thanks JR. The S-500 is definitely too small for what I’m working to achieve. My ducting layout is looking to have a main trunk line down the center of my shop running about 50’ with branches leading to pick up machines on both exterior walls. So kind of like a three pronged fork. Right now I’m limping along with the 5hp cyclone on most of my machines with a little 2hp dc on rollers I take back and forth between shapers. Annoying and inefficient to say the least. I’d really like a single dust collector to run everything if possible. Thanks again.

They appear to be a simple, inefficient, drop box so I would expect a lot of fines to clog filters fast.
    Thanks for the link. I am able to see the page but I am unable to find that page from their site. Even from the linked page there is no way to get to that page? Poor website must be hurting sales.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    They appear to be a simple, inefficient, drop box so I would expect a lot of fines to clog filters fast.
    Sort of, but the filter cake drops right off just by bumping the tubes. These blowers are larger diameter and run at half the speed of a typical cyclone.
    JR

JR, having both types of dust collector, what is your preference? I know it might be kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but I’m weighing the pros and cons of getting a larger cyclone, or a Nederman style DC. I’m brand agnostic, just using the Nederman as an example. Looks like a Belfab is up for auction in your neck of the woods.

It's hard to say. I've only used the S-750 for the sander, so I don't know how it would do for typical fluffier chip volumes. I wonder if there are any fan curves out there to get a sense of how it would do with higher static pressures. The cyclone is pretty solid when it comes to generating air velocity in even long 4" runs (it's also 2x the power and pretty noisy). Unless you have a bin setup, or drums, I imagine that you would use a lot of plastic bags. With sander dust, they fill slowly so it isn't too intensive to change. Then again, maybe you could sell the full bags, which would be convenient.

Sorry, not a clear winner. Do your best to get actual fan curve data, and calculate your typical and worst case static pressures to see how each would perform.
    JR

No that’s actually very helpful. I’ll try to dig up that data and make those comparisons, but hearing about real world setups and usage is interesting and informative. Thanks!