Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret Mitre Dovetails (no more secret)

Secret Mitre Dovetails (no more secret)

Hi,

Today I was cutting some secret mitre dovetails and I recalled an old Christopher Schwarz video on building a Shaker side table. What I love about Schwarz is his respect for the old cabinetmaker's techniques and for the tradition in general, inherent to a preindustrial era and before, when working by hand was an everyday reality.

In the above mentioned video he explains how in old furniture it wasn't unusual to see half blind dovetails cut pass the line of the stock thickness, to make it easier to chop out the waste, because more fibers would have been already severed by the elongated cuts. Usually these elongated cuts where hidden in the inside of drawers, of course.

Even if it took me days to prepare this mahogany, I decided to honour this technique. Of course the secret dovetails are no more secret but, I love reitarating the tradition in my furniture.

What do you think about this choice? Would you do the same and sacrifice the perfecion of a hidden secret mitre dovetail or half blind dovetail for the sake of easing out the work and giving a traditional imprint to
    it?

Personally, I'm happy I made this choice.

IMG_20230630_183428.jpg

Cheers,
    Haisam

Really, don't worry about what others think. As long as you are happy then that's enough. It looks good so far. I hope you post the finished results.

IF you can find it, The Woodwright's Shop has a show all about dovetails, including a how-to on how to lay out and cut secret/hidden dovetails
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Haitham Jaber View Post
    Hi,

Today I was cutting some secret mitre dovetails and I recalled an old Christopher Schwarz video on building a Shaker side table. What I love about Schwarz is his respect for the old cabinetmaker's techniques and for the tradition in general, inherent to a preindustrial era and before, when working by hand was an everyday reality.

In the above mentioned video he explains how in old furniture it wasn't unusual to see half blind dovetails cut pass the line of the stock thickness, to make it easier to chop out the waste, because more fibers would have been already severed by the elongated cuts. Usually these elongated cuts where hidden in the inside of drawers, of course.

Even if it took me days to prepare this mahogany, I decided to honour this technique. Of course the secret dovetails are no more secret but, I love reitarating the tradition in my furniture.

What do you think about this choice? Would you do the same and sacrifice the perfecion of a hidden secret mitre dovetail or half blind dovetail for the sake of easing out the work and giving a traditional imprint to
    it?

Personally, I'm happy I made this choice.

IMG_20230630_183428.jpg

Cheers,
    Haisam
    Hi Haisam

Good to see you posting about joinery. I will comment on two of your remarks.

Firstly, the overcutting was done for speed. I would not call it a tradition. Some like to copy what others have done without examining the intent, and think that all old must be the procedure of choice. The back of the drawer front is not a place where most examine for quality of workmanship, and the overcuts were done with this in mind. Using them is not traditional, but a decision whether you are comfortable with this level of work. Personally, since I am not a professional churning out drawers for a living, as a hobbiest I have the time and desire to do it right. So no deliberate overcutting for me. The overcuts you see on my works are just my usual sloppy self.

Secondly, well-cut joinery is a pleasure to see being used. The trouble is that well-executed joinery is often invisible. Any joinery which is essentially three dimensional, that is, requires two planes to come together simultaneously, is a big deal in my book. The difficult joints in this area are secret mitred dovetails and mitred through dovetails … because the addition of a mitre takes them to another level. I rate the latter more highly since all the joins are visible.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    My understanding was the fully blind dovetails would over cut one tail in a joint so anyone repairing the furniture in the future would know how the joint went together.

On half blind dovetails it is neater to use a piece of broken saw blade or even a kerf maker:

Using the Bontz Kerf Maker.jpg

This allows taking the kerf all the way to the base line without having to saw deeper into the work. It really speeds up waste removal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think I “ learned “ how to do the secret dovetails from a Hayward book. The small test piece worked . Then , satisfied with my
    work and initiation to the “secrets” I moved on . I’d have to read it again to make another one.

Thank you for your interest.
    Thank you Derek for sharing your thoughts and experience as well. What is the book that you wrote you're referring to?
    I'm glad that you appreciate my intent of sharing my thoughts and ideas on joinery.
    There's so much involved in traditional joinery... so much respect for the wood as a living material.

Anyway one of the reasons why I decided to elongate the cuts is to ease the work as I have just a few days left for completing the project
    and this mahogany kept moving and moving week after week. But I also like to discover the way people used to work and workaround in the past.
    Also cutting a shallow rabbet on the end grain freehanding with a shoulder plane was an experience, even if a bit sweaty

The steps I followed are of Mitch Peacock, but Hayward books are excellent. If I feel confident I will post the end results, anyway

I will disagree with Derek when he say's "the right way". He is referring to himself. Obviously I have a different opinion. The purpose of a joint is to hold two pieces together. Now anytime you modify the traditional through dovetail, you are also making the joint weaker. Usually the weakness is minimal but it is there none the less. So you are trading some strength to make the joint prettier. So what is the "right way"? Whatever works. Only time can tell you if it was successful or not.

To avoid the extra saw cut either takes time or power tools. Most people won't notice the difference.

Now you see them..

Monday Dovetail work, fine tuned .JPG
    Now you don't...
    The TRays PIP, Awaiting a stain.JPG

Chris Schwarz, while showing Roy Underhill about how Campaign Furniture was made, showed how to make this joint....

Long ago, this sort of box would have been sold at The Army & Navy Store...as an Officer's "Toilet"...containing all the items needed to shave and make himself presentable on Parade every morning. And hide money and other such items...
    Tray Box Project, opened up , side view.JPG

I know this can be an intricate argument but, as I said, I like to see how things were done in the past and would have been glad to have places here in Italy where I could analize old furniture. Unfortunately, we don't have that strong english tradition. Thanks Eric for sharing your kind opinion.

I decided to put here the results of my first Secret Joints. I know there is some spelching, also aided by those extra saw cuts, but we see how it goes, and also is on the underside and as Schwarz says... only the bugs on the floor will see it. Mahogany is tough and not predictable like beech, though

IMG_20230703_161913.jpg

IF you can find a "Putty Knife with a stiff ( non-flexible) blade the same thickness as your dovetail saw....you can use that as a way to get into the back corners of a dovetail joint..
    Tues. Corner #2, Kerf chisel .JPG
    Do NOT add any bevel to the blade's edges, as that will act as a wedge...a nice blunt, square edge will work just fine...drive drive the "Kerf Tool" straight down, using the dovetail saw's kerf to guide you...
    Tues. Corner #2, Dovetail saw .JPG
    No over-cuts needed...
    Tues. Corner #2, Corner's done .JPG

Kerfing chisels ...

Make your own: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ngChisel2.html

No over cutting needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with Derek, the overcut is just that, an overcut. It's a byproduct of haste in churning out joints (that won't be easily seen) as quickly as possible.
    Not everything that's old is good or on purpose, I would politely suggest looking at more sources.
    This may interest you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajG26AP6Ub0
    and this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XP9OIefC8s

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Kerfing chisels ...

Make your own: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ngChisel2.html

No over cutting needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Overcutting is faster and you don't need additional tools. It does not effect strength.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    Overcutting is faster and you don't need additional tools. It does not effect strength.
    However, it makes the joint look sloppy and less professionally done.

It also creates space for insects to invade and lay eggs. DAMHINT!

I am almost never in a race to finish a project.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)