Thread: Surface preparation for paint paint over plywood

Surface preparation for paint paint over plywood

I’m building a bookcase out of some really nice birch plywood and against my preferences and to please my 9 year old client, the sides will painted. I’m going to use SherwinWilliams super paint which claims to be paint and primer combined but I think I need to prime the raw wood first. To get the smoothest finish, should I use a latex primer. I assume this will raise the grain somewhat and I’ll have to lightly sand before the topcoat. Could I use shellac as a primer and what cut? Note - the shelves and accents will be shellac. Sometimes grandpa can override the client.

I did all my book shelves with orange shellac , “flakes”. Then painted the front shelf fronts and about 2 inches of shelves . Kept the
    books on the shellacked part until the paint was dry and cured.

You can use shellac as a primer. In fact one of the most popular primers for interior woodwork is Zinnser BIN, which is white pigmented shellac. Regular clear shellac will work as well - Zinnser sells SealCoat for this, which is 2# dewaxed. I don't think the cut is critical but I would want it dewaxed.

I used to swear by BIN white pigmented shellac based primer, until the price got outrageous. So I took a chance on Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Waterbased white primer and it works great, maybe better than the BIN. It sprays beautifully and only raises the grain a little, and sands easily to powder, no corning on the sand paper.

Another WB option is SW's wood and wallboard primer. Really, really thick stuff, though, best applied by brush or roller.

Even though you are using birch plywood you are going to need a primer to fill the grain, or it will show through your topcoat. Prep before and after priming will pay rewards with a smooth finish at the end.

John