Thread: Nova Voyager Floor Mount DVR Drillpress

Nova Voyager Floor Mount DVR Drillpress

Anyone aware of how to mount (locking) casters on this? I need mine mobile within my shop. Recommended caster set appreciated if you know of a set.

I don't have mine on casters. If I was going to make it mobile, I'd use a grizzly bear crawl mobile base with an oversize piece of plywood (probably doubled up) to get a wide stance. Drill presses are top heavy and tippy. Of course I'd bolt the base to the plywood. The oversize base would also give you support for a small cabinet to hold--drill press stuff. I'd make the cabinet removable so you could set it aside when you need the clearance under the table. Just my .02
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I don't have mine on casters. If I was going to make it mobile, I'd use a grizzly bear crawl mobile base with an oversize piece of plywood (probably doubled up) to get a wide stance. Drill presses are top heavy and tippy. Of course I'd bolt the base to the plywood. The oversize base would also give you support for a small cabinet to hold--drill press stuff. I'd make the cabinet removable so you could set it aside when you need the clearance under the table. Just my .02

Exactly what I did minus the cabinet.

I did it on my Voyager. I made my own wood platform and put 2" swivel dual locking polyurethane casters (from Amzn) on it. The casters I bought were generic.

It works perfectly. I don't even lock them. The base is plenty stable during use and easy to move around when I need to clean under it (who am I kidding, like I ever clean under it).

Homhoo 2" Swivel Caster Wheels with Safety Dual Locking and Polyurethane Foam No Noise Wheels, Heavy Duty - 150 Lbs Per Caster Red (Pack of 4)

I have a 17" floor-standing drill press and also have it on a generic mobile base floored with two layers layers of 3/4" ply. Using a mobile base (or building one) lets you get it wide enough so that it feels stable. The machine is of course bolted to the plywood floor of the mobile base.

Mine is on a mobile base ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-30-2023 at 8:17 PM.

Dave, I should add that the reason I went for a mobile base was that to keep the drill press as low as possible. A platform plus wheels will raise up the controls, and this can become uncomfortably high for me. I am about 5'10" (getting shorter as I age!). Shorter, and you will not like a platform. Taller, and it may be okay.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a base similar to the one Derek has except mine is homemade. Five inch double locking caster wheels allow the drill press to be moved with one hand if there are no chips in the path. Using a cantilevered wheel I was able to keep the drill press height 3/4" above normal. It could have been even lower but I wanted clearance for any possible debris on the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought one of the mobile bases for my Nova. Don't remember which one offhand but near the front 2 casters are knobs that screw a rubber tipped rod down to make it immobile. This also allows you to level the DP to a degree if need be.