Thread: Performax 16-32

Blog Entries

Performax 16-32

My machine is starting to leave burn marks so easily and is wearing out sandpaper. I am running mesquite through it. Am I lowering it too much?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I have one and you can only take off small amounts at a time burning means you are trying to take off too much--we all do it.

In addition to what Peter said, it depends on the wood. Some wood gums up the sandpaper faster than others. But very light cuts are the way to go.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What others have said, also it depends on the grit you are using. On most woods I could go 1/4 turn with 100 grit

When I had a 16-32 I used one of those big Rubber eraser sometimes a lot. I eventually sold it and figured out how to properly mill wood.
    My drum sander was a time thief I’m really patient so I don’t say this lightly.
    Good Luck
    Aj

The variables are feed speed, grit, and depth of cut. Do any of the 3 wrong and it burns. Dry mesquite is not hard to sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    What others have said, also it depends on the grit you are using. On most woods I could go 1/4 turn with 100 grit
    When I first got my drum sander I bought a bunch of fine sandpaper and still have most of it. 80 to 120, maybe 150 is it for me. This is not really a finishing machine.

Mesquite is a very hard wood. Some sources online say it's maybe the hardest of North American hardwoods. If that is correct, the abrasive belts would wear out very quickly. Also, as others have said, drum sanders are designed to take off a very tiny amount of wood on each pass. I usually try to only take off about .003" on each pass. The drum sander is an excellent tool for sanding a surface flat but will never replace a thickness planer for thicknessing a board (unless you have a lot of time and don't mind making many more passes than you would with a planer).

It's also possible that mesquite leaves residue on the sandpaper whick, very quickly, will reduce the effectiveness of sandpaper and cause burning I would guess.

Since you didn't say what grit you were using, maybe installing some 60 grit or even 40 (if available) would get better results with less paper degradation. After you have gotten the board flat, then go down a grit at a time or possibly even from 60 to 100. I rarely sand to finer than 100 on my drum sander. It's a Performax 16-32 also.

I'm not a mesquite expert, but have experienced similar problems on other hard woods.