Thread: Comparo...Vix bit Vs ? bit.

Comparo...Vix bit Vs ? bit.

Can't really call this a test, but I did it anyway.

I have two sets of Vix type bits that have been used for various projects. One set is Vix brand, the other is unmarked, but I remember getting it from a well known woodworking catalog, about 10 years back.

So, let's compare. Nothing scientific, but they have both been used about the same amount, basically for setting hardware on my kitchen cabinets. I used a #5 size, and both models drill a hole about 7/16" deep. The tip the drill goes through looks the same on both, but the no name model comes apart for bit changes, while the Vix is adjustable for depth by pushing the bit from behind with the Allen key. The no name has a hex shank, the Vix is round.

Next, I drilled a few holes in red oak just to see how well they worked. The Vix drilled smoothly with little clogging, so I continued drilling holes until I got bored (sic), totaling 18 holes without cleaning or clogging the bit. I then switched to the no name and did the same thing, drilling a total of 12 holes. By the third hole, I was getting a lot of resistance because the drill bit was not clearing out the waste well. By the sixth hole I could smell a bit of burning, and by the 12th it was obvious the bit was burning through the hole, and I quit. Then cleaned the bit on the no name with a pick, while the residue on the Vix simply tapped off. The vix deposited a lot of small chips on the workpiece, while the no name cleared almost none.

Next I got out my ACME Vix cleaning jig...nothing more than a piece of hardwood with a 3/16" hole drilled through it and a small chamfer at the top of the hole. Just plunge the bit into the hole a couple times while running, and it clears the swarf off the bit. I drilled three holes with the Vix and had very little swarf on the bit, which fell off quickly. I did the same with the no name, plunged it into the jig, and nothing fell off, it was stuck on the bit and needed to be picked off again.

The Vix bit is wood oriented, chrome, having a deeper flute, with a tighter twist, allowing the chips to actually shove out the chips from the previous cut. The no name bit was a plain black steel cutting bit, which clogged after the first cut every time.

Other than the actual bit used, the only other difference in actual use is that the no name seemed to take more pressure to engage, but in my opinion it would probably work just fine with the proper bit for the job.

Finally, I ran the Vix bit through another 25 holes as fast as I could, not stopping for cleaning at all. When I finished, two strokes on the cleaning jig left it ready to go again. I could not clog it.

That's it. I wanted to come up with an erudite final note but I suspect you can guess which one I like best.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Interesting. The self centering bits I got from Lee Valley several years ago perform exactly like your unmarked set. I silently curse them after every hole as I pick out the waste. Probably worth investing in the Vix (S.E. Vick?) brand for the common sizes I use.
    Last edited by Lloyd McKinlay; 06-29-2023 at 12:53 AM.

I switched to the Vix brand about a year ago.
    Sold the no-name set on Craigslist for about what I paid for it (with inflation that means I got less than what I paid for it, but it wasn't too much less )
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I've got the Vix brand and I have no complaints.
    David