Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasers for turning signatures

Lasers for turning signatures

Lately I have seen several YouTube videos of turners demonstrating the LaserPecker2 to sign or add designs to bowls and other turnings. It is quite expensive ($750-$950ish) but I am intrigued because my pyrography pen often looks a little messy on open grained or softer woods.

Has anyone been using a laser regularly, if so what type and what are the pros/cons. Just looking to get any info.
    Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson80; 06-26-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Tom, my turned work was juried into the Kentucky Crafted program and for a bit over a decade I sold through galleries, mainly the Kentucky Artisan Center. It is my personal opinion that a laser signature diminishes the “hand crafted” nature of turned art by giving it more of a machine produced character. But, I am sure others may have differing opinions.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I recently bought a Sculpfun S10. It was around $450 on Amazon. Tried to save a little money by ordering on Banggood, but they couldn't deliver like they promised and I went through PayPal to get the order cancelled. It has pretty short legs, but I intend to use spacers to have unlimited Z axis height. My intent is to have an Asian style hanko mark incorporating my initials. A Hanko stamp has been used for millennia in Asian cultures and does not diminish the artwork. I also intend to decorate rims like I did with my old Universal Laser machine before the tube failed. These sell very well at the Nature Center Holiday sale. One advantage of the Sculpfun is an air assist nozzle. It reduces the amount of resin and smoke staining on the surface of the work.
    dfly1.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-27-2023 at 11:53 AM.

I won't get into the hand crafted part, everyone has their own view.
    I bought a Laserpecker 1 pro for logos and small embellishments.
    I bought the basic model without all the bells and whistles, no real need for me.
    https://www.laserpecker.net/products...40943701655599
    The main reason I bought the one I did was because of it's portability. I can pretty much move it anywhere.
    The price is higher now than I paid but there is often a coupon.
    I've been pretty happy with mine, for what it does. I am not planning on getting into the larger lasers that others talk about on the forum.

One example. a little toy truck I made for a wood supplier. I made the truck before I got the laser and was easily able to then, burn in the logo after it was assembled. (which I had not planned).
    IMG_1315.jpgIMG_0349.jpg
    A much needed improvement.
    There is plenty of online software where you can get your signature turned into a file the laser can use, it you want to go that route.

A couple of years ago Chris Edwards posted this thread about setting up an Ortur laser to sign his bowls. I haven't checked prices lately but IIRC the laser was around $300.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Tom, my turned work was juried into the Kentucky Crafted program and for a bit over a decade I sold through galleries, mainly the Kentucky Artisan Center. It is my personal opinion that a laser signature diminishes the “hand crafted” nature of turned art by giving it more of a machine produced character. But, I am sure others may have differing opinions.
    I'm of the same opinion as John.

Hand signing is also quicker.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    I'm of the same opinion as John.

Hand signing is also quicker.
    Never had anyone tell me they won't buy one of my pieces over the last 35 years because of what kind of craftsman identification it has. Especially when about the best I can do around here is a $100 piece. They aren't buying precious art work. The only time my signature has come up is when a bowl was for sale on eBay. But having an 18" natural edge catalpa bowl I made listed on there for $65 provided little flattery over my signature.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-27-2023 at 10:09 PM.

As I stated in my comments, others may have differing opinions. There are other factors at play, including the market one is selling in, and most importantly, the price range of the turnings. Though I no longer produce turned pieces for sale, over the decade or so that I did they sold in the range of $350 - $1800. Those works involved multi piece construction, as well as various forms of hand work in the embellishment and finish applied. Many hours were involved in producing that type of work. There are a couple of turners that are still posting such work on this forum.

I do think laser embellishments can be quite attractive on certain pieces if properly done and I have used such elements on 3-4 pieces that were done for specific purposes. But, in my market and for the prices the works were demanding, it is my opinion that a laser signature would detract from the “hand crafted” nature of the art.

I don’t know what market or price range the OP is selling to, so my circumstances may not be at all relevant.

I cringe when applying my arthritic scrawl onto one of my freshly turned gems. Maybe a laser is the answer.

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    As I stated in my comments, others may have differing opinions. There are other factors at play, including the market one is selling in, and most importantly, the price range of the turnings. Though I no longer produce turned pieces for sale, over the decade or so that I did they sold in the range of $350 - $1800. Those works involved multi piece construction, as well as various forms of hand work in the embellishment and finish applied. Many hours were involved in producing that type of work. There are a couple of turners that are still posting such work on this forum.

I do think laser embellishments can be quite attractive on certain pieces if properly done and I have used such elements on 3-4 pieces that were done for specific purposes. But, in my market and for the prices the works were demanding, it is my opinion that a laser signature would detract from the “hand crafted” nature of the art.

I don’t know what market or price range the OP is selling to, so my circumstances may not be at all relevant.
    Thanks John (and everyone else) for your input. My work is pretty basic and up until now I have only been giving my turnings away to family/friends. I just don’t love the way my burned signature looks on some woods and I thought laser was the answer, though now will have to consider it some more.

Thanks again for the information and input.
    Tom

Tom, I use an an archival pen to sign with, but another option for you is to have a custom branding iron made. There are several sources, including Infinity Tools. They are available with a heating element or flame heated with a torch.

When I first started turning I used a Forstner bit to drill a shallow hole to glue a penny of the current year date onto the bottom of the bowl. I later got some same-size blank circle medallions from a trophy shop to engrave my name with a vibrating tool and use it instead of the penny. Did a few but it dwindled away and I now use a Sharpie.

A consideration might be to get some medallions and have your name and whatever professionally engraved. You could use a vibrating tool to date them when used, if desired.

Similar to Edward, I bought a LaserPecker 1, their least expensive model — $240.00. I bought it after seeing a demo of it by one of our Club members at our annual Retreat. Like Edward, it’s all about the portability of it, and the unlimited vertical (x-axis?) possibilities. It’s not very powerful at all, but will engrave wood. It’s also a high-energy wavelength, so great care must be taken to protect oneself and others from the beam — even the reflected light.
    We (GCWA) do a monthly pen-making session at Camp Hope, a residential treatment facility in Houston for veterans with combat-certified PTSD. We also regularly make pens for the Freedom Pens project. I’ve used my LP1 to engrave pens for both projects, and it has been a HUGE HIT with the men at Camp Hope!

All that being said, I will concur that signing my work with an archival ink pen is MUCH faster!

IMG_4394.jpg IMG_1078.jpg
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

What about a brand? It may appear more "hand applied"

I guess I have a different view about the laser. If you scan your signature then it is actually your signature. If you use computer generated font, that is different and not really your signature. I wouldn’t use a computer generated font. I scanned my signature and for me I don’t see anything except a different method of applying it.. I have always used a wood burner before, but results were really bad. Now my turnings are not no where near in the same class as John’s, but every now and then I make a decent piece. It took me about 10 tries to get a decent signature to scan. There are those that can use a wood burner and do very well, I’m just not one of them. I am comfortable using my laser signature. Just a different from a pen or wood burner, but still my signature. The photo is my actual signature done with my laser on the bottom of one of my wig stands our club is making for cancer patients.

IMG_1314.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.