Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lasers for turning signatures

I bought a $300 laser a year ago to mark my projects and try cutting veneer. The latest thing I did with it was engrave slate coasters for a family gathering. Signing bowl bottoms is a chore but I do it. To quote my 7th grade English teacher: "If you had written the Declaration of Independance, we would still be part of England" I need to modify the laser to fit in a foot recess without colliding. I'm thinking maybe a scanned signature, a logo, and handwritten initials may cover all the bases.

Jim

This discussion is really helpful. I appreciate the different opinions and viewpoints.

I have heard people say that brands can sometimes work inconsistently depending on the wood and the price is similar to some of the cheaper lasers, which seem to have a lot more consistency and versatility.

I envision using a laser similar to William, with a scanned signature. I think William’s looks great - personal/unique but also very neat (btw what laser do you use William?).

I’m not sure what I will end up doing, but this forum is helpful in looking at various options that turners are using and how they like/dislike them, so please continue to share your opinions/examples/methods. Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    This discussion is really helpful. I appreciate the different opinions and viewpoints.

I have heard people say that brands can sometimes work inconsistently depending on the wood and the price is similar to some of the cheaper lasers, which seem to have a lot more consistency and versatility.

I envision using a laser similar to William, with a scanned signature. I think William’s looks great - personal/unique but also very neat (btw what laser do you use William?).

I’m not sure what I will end up doing, but this forum is helpful in looking at various options that turners are using and how they like/dislike them, so please continue to share your opinions/examples/methods. Thanks,
    Tom
    With a Laserpecker, you have control of a few parameters.
    Material, Depth, Power, Resolution and Number of passes.
    No two pieces of wood will be exactly the same. You'll only achieve "consistency" after a bit of trial and error.
    There are many little things you pick up, only after trying different scenarios and adjusting the above settings to fit your needs.
    Burning on soft woods is much different than hard woods and exotics.
    You'll want to record your settings once you get a good burn.

I am using an Xtool 20W D1 Pro laser. I’m not inot a lot of just laser things, but will eventually expand to do some of that such as coasters and cutting boards with laser engraving. I haven’t had the laser long, but have done a few wood turning embellishments with it. As Edward said there is a learning curve regarding parameters. One really nice thing is I can resize my signature to fit even small bases.

Back to the wig stands I used the laser to burn a design on the top to make them more attractive. Most of the stands I make are from glued up boards. That said they are much nicer than the plastic stands normally supplied. The laser can add to turnings, but is only one of many ways to add embellishments if used in the right situation.

IMG_1842.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I think that anyone could write a book on the subject of documenting the creator of any project. I am a laser engraving fan so consider that when you read my opinion here.
    Just as your talent effects your ability to manually burn a signature in a project your talent using other techniques, especially technical processes, to identify certain projects has to be a decision only you can make based on your access to any particular process and your experience with that process. Generally speaking most manual techniques require a steady hand and some level of talent that has been established. Laser engraving requires a different set of skills but it does not require a physical component. Laser engraving offers a larger variety of options based on an almost endless supply of fonts and graphics and it is rarely obstructed by physical size in that even very tiny graphics and variable font sizes are often an option.
    In the end it is a decision you make based on your talent, design and access to the tools you have at your disposal and beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.

Can't say that I have ever seen a makers mark here that I didn't like, even the rustic styles have a certain charm that is often warm to the eye.