Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Insect Bites

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I never smoked. The cigarette smoked. I was just the sucker.

Ten years free of my tobacco addiction.

jtk
    Congrats! LOML & I will have 10 years on the 15th.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Congrats! LOML & I will have 10 years on the 15th.
    Thanks, and congrats to the two of you.

It is possibly the hardest habit to kick.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, and congrats to the two of you.

It is possibly the hardest habit to kick.

jtk
    Giving up Oreos is the second hardest
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Interesting article in the NY Times > https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/03/w...repellent.html

Much of the information covers what has been posted in this thread.

They do suggest a Thermacell Mosquito repellant. It won't work in a windy area.

Other bits from the article:

Chief among the first group of factors is how you smell. Dozens of diverse molecules distributed throughout your body come together to create your unique odor.
    Certain clothing colors like black and dark blue can act like a mosquito magnet, he added. Research also suggests that mosquitoes are drawn to bright oranges and reds.
    Also recommended was aiming a fan under tables where people will be sitting. It keeps mosquitoes away from feet and legs.

A link to recommended repellants > https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...bug-repellent/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Interesting article in the NY Times > https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/03/w...repellent.html

... Also recommended was aiming a fan under tables where people will be sitting. It keeps mosquitoes away from feet and legs.

A link to recommended repellants > https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...bug-repellent/

jtk

I sit out early in the morning in September to watch the "winter stars" come up.
    This is strictly visual. It is from my front porch which has an almost unobstructed east-facing view.
    (Bonus: National Forest begins about 25 miles east of me; that is good because the skies are fairly dark in that direction.)
    Anyway, the mosquitoes are out in force because it is still monsoon ("rainy season", such as it is in the low deserts).
    So I place one of those little Vornado fans near me to blow the "skeeters" away; it works well if the setting is on Med or High.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 07-04-2023 at 2:09 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

We are down to just having 3 great-grandkids and 3 grandkids under the age of 15 staying with us for a couple weeks. After reading this thread, I ordered one of the devices from Amazon. Yesterday my wife took the group to Wallowa Lake State Park in northeastern Oregon for a tram ride up, lunch and hike on Mt. Howard. Two of the kids got a total of 3 mosquito bites. Though the application and use of the device was a couple hours after the bites were occurred, the itching stopped immediately and haven't returned.

I was skeptical. I hope to further test the device.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-07-2023 at 10:02 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Member may find the link below useful

https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/insec...-primary-care/

if you open the blue text this provides additional information
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 07-08-2023 at 5:34 AM.