Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insect Bites

Insect Bites

Just passing this along.

My wife reacts badly to bug bites and seems to be one of those people that Mosquito's, etc., swarm to.

A friend recommended this device and my wife has been using it now for a few weeks, while camping and generally when bugs are present.

When she gets bitten, she zaps herself and immediately the itching and swelling, disappears.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MT4Z89C...roduct_details

Ordered one. Thanks. I see it works from heat.

Professor Dr. SWMBO got one when she was still involved in beekeeping, even though stings were rare...definitely works.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Heard of them, but assumed it was a "as seen on TV" thing. So worth a try. We have a problem with oak mites here. It's a parasite of certain wasps, that form galls in mostly pin oaks. Drops from trees onto people by accident. Bites are much more painful, itchy and sometimes leave long-lasting (months) marks on some people. I am hoping this works for them too.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Something that may also help relieve the pain of insect encounters is a common "weed" known as plantain major and/or plantain lanceolata:

Plantain Weed Plantago major.jpgRibwort Plantain Plantago lanceolata.jpg

Both are common across North America, even though they were not here before Europeans set foot on the continent.

Crush a fresh leaf or two and apply to the bite or sting.

Occasionally at the farmers market someone would get bit or stung and this grew in many places around the site. People were surprised at how quickly the pain was relieved.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Benedryl (the pink pills) also work
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Both are common across North America, even though they were not here before Europeans set foot on the continent.

jtk
    The native Tribes around here calledit "white man's foot" for that reason.
    < insert spurious quote here >

assuming what I read the other day is true;

-Mosquitoes kill more humans than any other creature on earth--

I've always used anything I can find with Deet to keep them away-
    fortunately other than the basic pesky itch bug bites don't affect me too much, thankfully....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    The native Tribes around here calledit "white man's foot" for that reason.
    Yep, the seeds have tendency to stick to footwear and spread around that way. Where plantain grew, white man had walked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    assuming what I read the other day is true;

-Mosquitoes kill more humans than any other creature on earth--

I've always used anything I can find with Deet to keep them away-
    fortunately other than the basic pesky itch bug bites don't affect me too much, thankfully....
    I do not like Deet or any of the spray on repellents. B vitamins, garlic and other aromatic herbs tend to smell terrible to most insects that view humans as a walking buffet. Mosquitos are attracted to a person who has eaten a banana. Something to avoid before going into the wild during mosquito season.

There are also some sources that claim a fabric softer sheet also tends to repel mosquitos and other insects. Let it hang out of your pocket or tie it through a belt loop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’ve had good luck with pennyroyal grown in our yard. Easy to grow and, it spreads. Lots of warnings about using it only sparingly in
    food. Has some toxicity. Crush before use. Women who are pregnant are warned in all the books to stay away from it.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 06-26-2023 at 2:01 AM.

I was born in Missouri, grew up there and left when I turned 19.
    I can't recall ever getting bit by mosquitoes. I'd watch them alight on my forearm and ...nothing.
    My Dad never got bit either. We both have hazel eyes.
    Everyone else in my family (4 siblings) had brown eyes, as did my Mom. They always got bit...lots.
    Maybe there was a genetic factor at play.

Here in AZ they don't bite me either.
    Now, in both places they still drive me to distraction by buzzing around, especially that whining sound when they are close to your ears. I especially hate that.
    Just no bites.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 06-26-2023 at 3:08 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    I am not too troubled by mosquitoes but ticks are a real problem, chiggers too. I have started using lavender oil dissolved in alcohol then mixed with water. Witch hazel and soap are suggested as well but are not necessary. It works. When I spray myself and the dog down we do not come home with ticks and the dog does not itch and scratch all night long. As a bonus mosquitos, gnats and black files do not like lavender either.
    If I remember correctly, it was during the construction of the Panama Canal that it was discovered that mosquitoes are responsible for Malaria.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-26-2023 at 6:45 AM. Reason: malaria after thought
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Ordered one. Thanks. I see it works from heat.
    We just used to hold the burning ember at the end of a lit cigarette close to the skin to heat the bite up. That's when I was young and stupid. I quit smoking decades ago.

I'm fortunate that mosquitos don't seem to like the vibe I'm putting down. I'm rarely bitten, and if so I don't show much if any evidence afterwards. It must be my body chemistry. I had a friend from the UK that had horrible reactions his first year in the US. Any mosquito bite resulted in a huge welt that looked like he'd been shot with a pellet gun.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Benedryl (the pink pills) also work

Benadryl does not play well with your brain, especially if you are older. A few might not hurt but if you're going to keep something around, one of the newer antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec don't cause the same problems.

Hot running water also kills the itch of bites and rashes.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.