Thread: tea pot - cnc cut looks like a 3D object

tea pot - cnc cut looks like a 3D object

found this tea pot design, printed the diagram and traced it using Logic Trace and created a *.dxf file for maching the file out on the CNC machine using black cherry wood and it looks 3D like cut out

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/d39fdab51f16edc15a/tea-pot-cnc-cut-looks-like-a-3d-object

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-24-2023 at 8:43 AM.

Nice project Stan. You are a braver (?) man than I to put your hands so close to the running bit. No way I ever would do that. It may be programmed to do something, but that doesn't mean it will, even if it has 100 times in the past.

John

i will look at the video to remind myself what I was up to might just be an illusion

towards the end i was close, worried the tea pot might lift up a bit as the tabs could have been increased
    nothing worse that the work piece trying to fly out
    and the camera angle does make it look worse

Nice looking part Stan! I often use small tabs to keep the parts from moving during the final cuts, and then use a sharp chisel to cut the part loose when finished. Thanks for sharing another great project with us.

David

i have issues with tabs I pick 3d and possibly too small as when the project gets cut out my tabs are minimal and it worries me
    I should stop 3d and make them a bit bigger
    i did not have any projects to place on the plasma site maybe next month

Stan - how about using double sided tape, or that trick where you put tape on the backside of the work piece and tape on the spoil board and glue them together. Then when finished just peal off the tape. I think there was a special spray adhesive that was recommended. I'll have to look it up and post the link. In any case, your finished product looks great!! Keep up the good work.

David

I'm with David on this...for a delicate thing, besides a few 3D tabs, using some additional "stick down" under the workpiece is a good thing. That said, you have to be a little careful not to over do it, either, if the cut pieces will be really delicate and take care when releasing them. Use a putty knife or something to very gently pry them loose so the tape releases. I'd likely use the painters tape and superglue method here rather than carpet tape because it will release easier by prying it as noted.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I make some pretty small parts, sometimes even smaller than the ones shown in this photo.

Tabs would be problematic, so I've settled on blue tape and CA glue. As long as you make sure there is glue under your parts when you stick it down it works very well, at least with the bits, speeds, and DOC I use for this kind of part.

John

will try this ---thanks