Thread: Quick Dust Collection question

Quick Dust Collection question

Bonjour! I'm about to connect my new CNC to an old modified 2-stage DC that is less than 1hp. The DC is quite close to the machine and I have 6" spiral pipes left over from my main DC. Should I just connect the CNC (4" hose) directly to the dust separator with a long 4" hose that follows the ceiling until the DC or run it to a 6" spiral pipe that gets as close as possible to the DC? Or would it be better to just get more spiral pipe of a lesser diameter? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I would temporarily try one and then decide. Spoil removal is more critical to some operations over others (health issues aside). I do not know that a sub-1HP unit is going to move enough volume to support anything over a 4" path.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For your particular application, you'll see no benefit with using the 6" spiral given the amount of air that can move through the 4" hose to your CNC's dust pickup is what it is. Since this is a dedicated operation based on your description, the hose is fine. Now you do get frictional loses from the hose, so there is potential performance benefit, so hard piping up to the ceiling and using hose for just the amount that needs to be flexible based on the nature of the machine is a good practice. That's how my CNC drop is arranged...hard pipe to a location up above the machine and a flex hose to the machine that's "just the right length" do allow full motion without any additional excess. This also keeps the hose "relatively straight" which is beneficial at reducing frictional loss.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do you mean that I should get 4" hard piping as much as possible in the following configuration: DC - small 4" flex hose - hard pipe along the wall and the ceiling until close to the center of the CNC - 4" small flex hose to the dust boot. Thanks again.

Essentially. Just try to keep the turns wider radius which may mean using multiple adjustables if you're not buying spiral or quick connect components and if using snap-lock be sure to use 26 gage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you for the help.

I agree with Jim's advice. I think you will get marginal performance with that size blower so make the ducting as efficient as possible- minimal flex hose, shortest possible overall run @ 4" and large sweep elbows.

Most 1 HP blowers have 9" to 10 " impellers , which don't move much air . Even the Harbor Freight 2 HP would be an upgrade ( saw it on clearance in my town ) . Rethinking y our DC , and upgrading , seems like the way to go . If your " old 2-stage " included a Dust Deputy , possibly a bigger blower would get you there . It's a rabbit hole , and it can get expensive .

My CNC is serviced for about 12' of 4" flex hose before connecting to 15' of 5" metal pipe and eventually to my Jet 1.5HP two stage unit, work fine.