Thread: Custom Corbels - Curved Bevel Cut Guidance Needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Custom Corbels - Curved Bevel Cut Guidance Needed

Revivingthis thread. I'm struggling with how to best complete my current project. I'mreplacing/refinishing the soffit and fascia of our 1870s workers cottage. Partof the project is replacing the historical detail to our fascia. I have everythingunder control except for the corbels.

Theexisting corbels (non-historical) are solidly made but are too large (14"deep x 5" wide x 17" tall) and do not follow the angle of theroofline (30-degrees) as is traditional with sloped roofs.

I'd love to repurpose these as much as possible but am unsure how to add a 30-degree cut/bevel (throughout) due to their width (5").

1. My first option is to use a jigsaw due to the curved/detailed nature of the cuts. I see both the required blade length (6”) and accuracy as issues.
    2. My second option is a bandsaw. I’m not as familiar with bandsaws and am unsure if there is one that can handle both the size and angle needs (tilting table, etc.).
    3. My third option is to build new custom corbels which would allow me to go the router route, via a 30-degree bevel bit. The downside, the largest cutting range I’ve found is 7/8” which means for 10 corbels @ 10” deep x 4.5” wide x 13” tall, I need 50 1” x 10” x 14” boards or ~200 linear feet (6 board glue-up per corbel). That is a lot of repetitive cuts and at $100 per 1” x 10” x 16’ board (red oak, Menards), pricey ones.
    4. My last option is to outsource custom corbels but that is even pricier at $150+ per.

4 (really 3) options with pros, cons and challenges. Would love any thoughts/advice and/or guidance regarding better/best cutting options.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images