Thread: Portable oxygen concentrators

Portable oxygen concentrators

Anyone have experience with buying a portable oxygen concentrator outright? I’m on original Medicare and under the care of a Pulmonologist, but it’s unlikely I would qualify for renting one at my current health level. So I would consider an outright purchase but I’m not aware of what the ongoing costs if any are and about maintenance issues that might require the involvement of a professional. It’s only something I would use when doing physically hard labor which quickly leaves me breathless and exhausted. Any advice about what to look for when buying, where to buy and long term care and maintenance? I’m referring to one that fits in a small carry bag and is battery operated. Something that would not interfere with labor. Thanks
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

We bought a couple for my SIL she needed one and her medical plan did not cover it.

My mother-in-law has COPD and is on oxygen constantly. She has a large concentrator at home and a portable one for when we travel anywhere. She just bought a new one as her old portable was not working well - mainly that the batteries did not last very long. The new one is smaller and lighter, and the batteries last substantially longer. She paid somewhere around $1200 for it. Medicare did not cover it. Medicare does cover hoses for the stationery machine, though. Good thing, too, as we probably replace either the hose or the candela (the piece that goes from the end of the hose to her nose) once every couple of months. She uses a 40' hose in the house, which is long enough to reach everywhere she goes. We put spiral cord protectors over it to try and preserve the life. They work okay, but she can't roll her wheelchair over it, so she has to move the hose around when she moves. At least the dogs don't bother it.

They only provide enough O2 for the smallest micro torch. Think hypodermic needle size nozzle. For soldering bits of jewelry.
    BilL D

I bought the Inogen One G4. I paid about $3000 for it.
    The batteries come in two different sizes.
    The single level ones - the one that comes with the machine - is more or less useless.
    The double level ones are much better. They run about $600 for the battery alone.
    On the G4 - you have three different settings. 1,2,3. On setting 1 - the double battery will last about an hour and a half.
    On a 5 hour flight, with two double and one single, I was ok with run time to spare. Providing I could plug into the wall at the terminal and plug into the outlet in a rental car pretty quick after landing.

Ongoing maintenance is pretty simple. The unit will just stop and display the message you need to "replace the column pair" - as needed - without any warning. That part runs about $140. Make sure you have a spare because mine just quit without any warning and nowhere did they tell you about it. Thankfully I wasn't in the middle of nowhere when it happened.

Medicare part "B" does not cover these devices specificly. If they are the cheapest alternative, then they are covered. That's a one in a million thing though so - don't count on Medicare or an Advantage or supplement covering one.

I went through an Inogen dealer for mine, but, you can deal directly with Inogen. A prescription is needed. The first one they shipped me was DOA. The second one lasted about 6 months then quit working. The third one lasted until just after the warranty expired. It now sits unused in my closet reminding me of $4000 I might just as well put in a little pile and set fire to.

Regarding the amount of oxygen delivered. These portable units deliver a pulse of oxygen, not continuous flow.
    I am on 3 to 4 liters of continuous flow and am no longer able to use a pulse device. I have to drag around a tank. Even if my $4000 POS hadn't quit working, it wouldn't give me enough oxygen anyhow.

It's vital to have the testing to determine what level of oxygen is required in order to determine if a pulse device is sufficient.

FWIW - from what you describe, supplemental oxygen probably isn't going to do you all that much good. You can pick up a pulse oximeter for about $40 or less and check your oxygen levels to see. If your levels drop below 90, you will benefit.
    Sorry if I'm rambling here.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I bought the Inogen One G4. I paid about $3000 for it.
    The batteries come in two different sizes.
    The single level ones - the one that comes with the machine - is more or less useless.
    The double level ones are much better. .
    . Thanks for the firsthand information Rich. It was all very helpful.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Michael, You're welcome.
    You should contact your lung guy and have a PFT Spirogram with DLCO. Make sure it includes a 6 min walking test. If you haven't done so already. If you need or want anything else, just let me know & I'll try to give you the answer.

I see Inogen has a Gen 5 machine now with a much longer run time.

There are also machines made in India that run about half the price of the Inogen. Nothing against them, but, I figure if I had as much trouble with the Inogen and it's rated one of the best - then why would I expect a lesser machine to be worthwhile? Maybe if it was a whole lot less.

The absolute worst part of the whole thing is how badly they rake you over for the batteries. I know they are medical equipment, but, come on,,,$600 for a battery?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m not going to pursue this further at this time.

If you get a portable most are pulse. There is one that is either pulse or continuous whe we we looking. We have 3 Airsep home units that we bought for her. Also a portable unit. The reason for the 3 is you want a backup if one goes down; Her first one that she got from the hospital went down and she had to wait 4 hrs for them to send out a new one and she was renting them for almost $300 a month. The one Airsep we got her was only $360 but it was a rebuilt unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    we probably replace either the hose or the candela (the piece that goes from the end of the hose to her nose) once every couple of months. She uses a 40' hose........
    I also have pretty severe COPD. I came by it honestly, so no whining. The portables can't make oxygen fast enough for me, so I use the pre-made out of the house. Tanks.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the main hose should be changed out every 60 days or so ["they" say 30]. The issue is that as time passes, the plastic hardens, and will develop small cracks in it - hard to see - but enough to cause leakage of O2. The cannula loses flexibility much faster. I change mine every 10 days or so. as they harden, they really become a literal pain in the nostrils.

I don't get mine from the health service provider because I just don't. I figger with their pricing, my end couldn't be any better that what I do on my own. They are readily available at Amazon - different qualities - from maybe $3 each to whatever for a 50' hose. The less expensive ones work fine, but they have memory and tend to get curled up. They are crush-resistant though.

I use ones that are about $9, and they stay flexible, and so last longer, and don't get tangled. Fewer cuss words needed.1 I like them much better.

The cannulas I get are 10 for $15. Same price for 4' and 7' - I use both.

So I use maybe 3 cannulas per month for $5 total, and the flexible hose lasts at least 2 months, or $5 per month. My spend is $10 per month or less for the tubing.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I also have pretty severe COPD. I came by it honestly, so no whining. The portables can't make oxygen fast enough for me, so I use the pre-made out of the house. Tanks.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the main hose should be changed out every 60 days or so ["they" say 30]. The issue is that as time passes, the plastic hardens, and will develop small cracks in it - hard to see - but enough to cause leakage of O2. The cannula loses flexibility much faster. I change mine every 10 days or so. as they harden, they really become a literal pain in the nostrils.

I don't get mine from the health service provider because I just don't. I figger with their pricing, my end couldn't be any better that what I do on my own. They are readily available at Amazon - different qualities - from maybe $3 each to whatever for a 50' hose. The less expensive ones work fine, but they have memory and tend to get curled up. They are crush-resistant though.

I use ones that are about $9, and they stay flexible, and so last longer, and don't get tangled. Fewer cuss words needed.1 I like them much better.

The cannulas I get are 10 for $15. Same price for 4' and 7' - I use both.

So I use maybe 3 cannulas per month for $5 total, and the flexible hose lasts at least 2 months, or $5 per month. My spend is $10 per month or less for the tubing.
    Do you happen to have a link for the flexible hose you use? The ones the oxygen co sends my mom get all knotted up.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I take care of my 90 year old mother that is on oxygen.

I looked into a portable unit but they are very, very expensive.
    I asked the oxygen co. about one and they told me Medicare will provide a portable unit OR Tanks but not both. I am not comfortable being out with a unit that may stop working with no back-up.

Seems to me for advances in electronics we have now days Oxygen machines are so primitive. Why someone on oxygen has to get up and walk to their machine to turn it up or down. Why not have a wireless remote available, Its even hard for me in my 50's to see what number its on let alone someone in their 90's. A small LED to light up the display would be very helpful.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Do you happen to have a link for the flexible hose you use? The ones the oxygen co sends my mom get all knotted up.
    Dave - down for the night on my cell. Will go off line to PM in the morning

I’m ambulatory, not wheelchair, and I kept getting my clumsy feet tied up in those things I’m with you