Thread: MIT students blend woodworking with robotics

MIT students blend woodworking with robotics

https://www.designboom.com/design/mi...ol-06-18-2023/

I read the article and watched the videos and I still don't get it, any of it at all.

So the stool requires two people to sit on it or it topples over???

Blog Entries
    The joints certainly aren't very tight.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Isn't that something.

It's an art thing, not a woodworking thing.

It may be but I'm not so sure

"Defying expectations with its indeterminate structural design, the Homie Stool balances on only two legs. The MIT students constructed the stool from maple wood using CNC milling, to showcase a unique assembly process reminiscent of a three-dimensional puzzle. Its intricately designed dovetail connections enable a robot to deftly piece the stool together, dropping each component into its predetermined geolocated coordinates. With a mathematically precise curvature enabled by the coding and calibration of the robot, the stool is able to stand independently once assembled."

Sound more like a robotics/CNC thing

I suppose what I don't "get" is that the stool, whether it's your cup of tea or not, doesn't appear to be machined to a very tight tolerance and the robotics look like a typical assembly arm that been around for decades. I'm not seeing anything that's, wow!