Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about dash cameras?

The way I see it, is that we generally can assume people will lie, so that eyewitness testimony is no longer credible enough, if you can even get someone to testify. So video proof is becoming expected as a way to determine culpability. Kind of like the CSI-effect in criminal cases: where juries expect there to be DNA evidence in every case.

I too am leery of too much surveillance out there, but on the other hand, if my kid was missing or my neighbor murdered, I would absolutely want the police to be able to check CCTV footage all over to find them. I think that's how they identified the Boston marathon bombers, as I recall.
    < insert spurious quote here >

We just bought a new car for my wife with a rear view camera. In her case I bought this as a backing aid because she cannot and will not use the mirrors. I am very impressed with it and wish I had one. I believe it's part of the warning system that stops the car in case you are backing into traffic.

I don't believe it records anything but I will check on that. It's a VW in case anybody has knowledge of it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I've never had one on purpose, though my Tesla now comes with some capability in that regard. If the airbags go off or when you blow the horn it saves a short clip of the previous minute or so. The video is stored to a thumb drive in the glove compartment, not, to my knowledge, uploaded unless you ask it to be. There' s a sentry mode that records a lot more, but I keep it turned off. I've never actually tried it to see if it works and what it records.

Insurance here is all no-fault, you get dinged no matter what. You only get a serious ding if the police charge you with something in the accident. I, knock wood, only have an accident once every couple of decades, so it all hardly seems worthwhile.

Backup cameras are nearly standard equipment these days, Mike. They were originally supposed to be on every new vehicle starting in 2011, but the regulation got, um...well...deferred. Backup cameras do not generally record anything and are not even active in a useful way unless the vehicle is in reverse. They are also extremely wide angle and meant for slow backing so one can also catch cross traffic in addition to things immediately behind you. Some vehicles like the one I drive have a video rear mirror which has a different field of view and essentially replaces in function the traditional middle rear view mirror when one uses the feature. (I love it) It's not attached to anything other than the mirror screen so no recording there, either. Increasingly and mostly with higher trim vehicles, there are 360º view mirrors that "super size" the same benefits of the backup cameras but with an all around view on the center console. These might have the potential for recording since they get to the head unit, but unless the manufacturer provides that ability...no recording. Finally, some vehicles (such as Subaru) use a camera based safety system. Those do have recording capability but it's short duration only and as I noted above, requires a legal process for the end user to get access. All of that is why folks buy third party dash cam setups with one, two or three cameras depending on the make, model and desired functionality/view.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My wife was involved in a major "bump" a few years ago, and the 3rd party who surrendered his dash cam footage to the police got the offending driver (not my wife) off the road.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Jim

After I posted my comment I realized that the camera only works when the car is in reverse. My wife is not good about using her mirrors and she and another careless older lady had a minor but scary event where my wife backed into her and she fell. there was mutual blame but I believe my wife was at fault. Fortunately the lady wasn't injured but I made sure to get the camera feature on the new car.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, it's scenarios like that which were the impetus for trying to mandate backup cameras to begin with...folks (especially kids) getting whacked when a vehicle backs up and they are not visible in mirrors. Today's backup cameras are so good that you almost don't need to use the side mirrors because of the great video quality and wide angle. Many vehicles also have rear cross path detectors that audibly warn of an obstruction, including people.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...