Thread: Soil ph testers

Soil ph testers

I know we have some gardeners here and was wondering if any use a ph tester for their soil. I'd like to buy a ph tester/kit if I can find a reliable one. Anyone have some input?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    I bought mine at Menards. Lowes and Home Depot have them too. I put in 6 blueberry plants last fall. It is time to check the PH again to make sure my efforts to give them what they need are working.

I have the Kelway HB-2 soil ph and moisture meter which works very well but is pricey. Lots of knock-offs on Amazon if you want to take a chance on their quality/accuracy.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Yeah, I think this is so basic (unintended pun) there is no need to go crazy. Most plants lean acidic, some more than others, but at the same time, plants are adaptive to their environment. I prefer a probe over a soil and water test that you check against a color chart. You are really looking for a general read rather than anything specific.

And yes- Mcmurry blueberries and our potatoes want a more acidic soil than many other plants.

Even tho I said I prefer a probe, I also have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQSKH3C

Not a probe but it eliminates comparing colors to a chart. For liquids more than soil, but you can mix soil into water and check that. Absolutely test the water you are using and record it before you mix it with the soil. Most city water will be neutral I think but well water could be anything.

Does anyone who regularly tests pH find that it is ever too extreme to correct? What I'm getting at is it worth testing?

Look online at your local ag college. Rutgers is the closest thing to an AG college in NJ but they offer free ph testing. They also have seeds available

I have a Hanna checker recommended to me by a friend who grows plants indoors on an industrial scale.

My ph is between 7.3 and 7.6 so I'm looking to add about 100 lbs of sulfur to my lawn over the year to deal with it if it ever rains again.

I'm also switching to an ammonium sulfate fertilizer for that extra little bit of sulfur.

Crossing my fingers that it will work. Fertilizer and other things have only been getting minimal response and I'm going that this week let me cut back a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe West View Post
    Does anyone who regularly tests pH find that it is ever too extreme to correct? What I'm getting at is it worth testing?
    If you're trying to grow something with specific needs, sure. Blueberries like a PH from 4.0-6.0 and potatoes between 4.5-6.0 to prevent scab.