Thread: Turning flaming box elder

Turning flaming box elder

I scored some nice sized FBE today and I am undecided as to the orientation when I turn this into a bowl. I don't know if it is true of all FBE, because this is the first I have ever had, but my log has a circle of color between the heart wood and sap wood. I am not sure if the bottom of the bowl should be toward the pith (center) of the log or on the outside surface of the tree. I can see where the effect would be substantially different, but I am not sure which way to go.

I have a limited quantity, so I want to get it right the first time.

I would appreciate some input from the group and pictures supporting your thoughts would be most welcome.

Do you know the red color fades if the piece is set in sunlight? Nearly all that glorious color will be a dull salmon color in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Do you know the red color fades if the piece is set in sunlight? Nearly all that glorious color will be a dull salmon color in a few years.
    Can it be protected with a film finish like shellac?

Nope. Binh Pho used a lot of box elder in his work and used an air brush and dye to color the fresh red color so it would be more light fast. Really all wood changes color with age.

I've heard of red markers being used to trace over colors but I don't know how just how color-fast the various brands are.

We all like to make use of the wood color, grain, other features but IMO the real thing to go for is the shape of the work. Hopefully, there will be a decent period when both the wood characteristic and the shape will be nice. The features may go but the shape won't, so get it right.
    Consider the "flat-black" test: Would you still like the piece if it was painted flat black?

Anyone in the St Paul Minnesota area who would like to turn some boxelder PM me. I have two fairly large trees that have storm damage and will be coming down in a few weeks. I have all I want but will save pieces for others. No, I will not be sharing the large burl on the trunk of the largest tree. I never know if it will have the red color until I cut into it but will keep an eye out for color.