Thread: paring chisel sharpening angle

paring chisel sharpening angle

Colleagues: my paring chisel needs sharpening due to a drop and landing straight on the bevel.

What is a good a grind and micro bevel angle? A friend says 20 degree grind, 3 degree micro bevel. I just never seemed to get the angles right when when previously sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Colleagues: my paring chisel needs sharpening due to a drop and landing straight on the bevel.

What is a good a grind and micro bevel angle? A friend says 20 degree grind, 3 degree micro bevel. I just never seemed to get the angles right when when previously sharpened.
    What steel is it made of?

Yes, depends on the chisel. My Marples I use 20. I have a couple of Stanley no.40's at 18. I don't do micro-bevels.

Blog Entries
    As has been said, the deal is in the steel.

My chisels are mostly old oil hardened steels. For paring they have a flat bevel, no micro bevel, somewhere between 15-20º. They may require a touch up on the stones more often.

In thinking about it, There may not be any chisel other than carbon steel in my assortment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As has been said, the deal is in the steel.

My chisels are mostly old oil hardened steels. For paring they have a flat bevel, no micro bevel, somewhere between 15-20º. They may require a touch up on the stones more often.

In thinking about it, There may not be any chisel other than carbon steel in my assortment.

jtk
    +1
    I also use 20 for paring, single bevel and most are in the 75-100 or more year range. I admit I have some newer chisels as well.
    Oddly i bought the new ones first then went in search of the old ones.

My Kyohisa slicks are all flat bevelled at 25 degrees.

Bevel angles are a compromise between ease of entry and durability. A 20 degree edge will not last long, sometimes one or two strokes depending on the wood.

I do not do secondary bevels as chisels are used both BU and BD.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gents: have no idea about the steel.

The 8” cranked neck blade has my initials and 1983 electro penciled.

Under magnification, it appears the blade is faintly and incompletely marked: “Dimic (??or is Diamond??)…Taylor…Sheffield…”

Thanks for any help.

Diamic is a trade name used by Henry Taylor Tools. They are still around.

DC

I'd do a 20 degree bevel and adjust from there. If it rolls over too easily increase the angle. Not sharp enough, decrease it. If it's not sharp enough for the task with a low angle then you might need to get one with better steel.

Gents: thanks from the help. On a whim, I sent Henry Taylor an E-mail asking 'bout the grind. I though H. Taylor, like so many of the old tool manufacturers, was out of business. Again, thanks.

Ray, when you posted originally the description was “paring chisel”. Now that it is a “cranked paring chisel” I would recommend 25 degrees. This chisel will be used for paring away protrusions such as dowel stubs. That will impact the edge more forcefully than light paring of flat surfaces.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dere: sorry 'bout the confusion. I will try a 25 degree angle.