Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A surprising replacement for New Skin Liquid bandage

A surprising replacement for New Skin Liquid bandage

I started using New Skin brand of liquid bandage in 1990. It was great, dried quick and stayed waterproof. I bought some last year now and it's been a disappointment. I think they changed the formula. It takes forever to dry and even two coats don't stay on long.
    I just bought the Walmart Equate version to test. It has 2 active ingredients. New Skin has only one. I tested it on a piece of cardboard next to the New Skin. Wow, the Equate version dry's quicker than the New Skin.

Today I got a deep cut and my finger. The Equate version really works. Even better than the 1990s formula of new skin. Sometimes you've got to test products and you don't always necessarily get what you pay for. The Equate brand costs less than New Skin !
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Thanks for sharing. Will need to pick some up. I'm sure I will need it any day now.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Thanks a lot for this. We sometimes use it when a puppy's umbilical cord won't stop bleeding easily. Better is good.

I've always used the medical grade liquid bandage, which is Dermabond, made by Ethicon. It's what we use in the OR to close skin. Single-use, sterile. I think it's a form of modified cyanoacrylate glue.

$22.49 each single use device. Ah, medical markups.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

This stuff works good on old guy's skin tags~~~~~~just sayin.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

For kicks I ordered some Nexcare Skin Crack Care to try. Gonna be the end of July, as I added it to my Subscribe and Save orders. After it arrives, the next time I get a cut (sadly a lot more common as you get older), I'll report back.

Still want to try medium or thick CA glue. I'm thinking that will work just about as good as the Dermabond, for a tiny fraction of the price.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Who has a link to the equate new skin? I can't find it on this page https://www.walmart.com/search?q=equate+new+skin
    WoodsShop

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Thanks for that Mike, and Andrew!
    WoodsShop

i've read

"most cyanoacrylate glues not designed specifically for medical use are formulated from methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, since it produces the strongest bond. Not only can such glues irritate the skin, during polymerization they can generate significant heat, to the point of causing skin burns. I gather this is a problem only if a large area of skin is affected."

Was Super Glue invented to seal battle wounds in Vietnam? - The Straight Dope
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Interesting.

Here's a short paper about this from the NIH:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532293/

So I guess 2-Octyle Cyanoacrylate is the proper stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    For kicks I ordered some Nexcare Skin Crack Care to try. Gonna be the end of July, as I added it to my Subscribe and Save orders. After it arrives, the next time I get a cut (sadly a lot more common as you get older), I'll report back.

Still want to try medium or thick CA glue. I'm thinking that will work just about as good as the Dermabond, for a tiny fraction of the price.
    In my experience there is quite a bit of burn with this

We've been using ordinary superglue for several years and are generally satisfied with it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    In my experience there is quite a bit of burn with this
    Burnt skin, or it just stings?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Burnt skin, or it just stings?
    Stung. Your better off with other products. Electrical tape and a piece of paper towel works well for temporary use then Neosporin and bandaid later