Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw selection help

Bandsaw selection help

Looking to get my first bandsaw. I do this as a hobby and primarily make things for around the house including some indoor and outdoor furniture. I like use the bandsaw to be able to cut some curved pieces, make bandsaw boxes, and occasionally die some rip cuts. At his point I don’t see myself doing much Resaw I g but I’m also just getting into using hardwoods. Have today built with pine only in the past.

so I think I have it narrowed down to the 10 In rikon 10-361 for $550 or the 14 in rikon 10-324for $1300. Is the 14 in with the price difference for my use case? Any other options I need to consider?

14 is where I would offer is a good starting point. Blades are easy to aquire and machine can do lots of fun things. Can get a rise block set up down the road to increase capacity if resaw ever gets popular and band saw boxes can use it as well for larger sizes.

If price is an issue, look used. Used delta rockwell is 250 today in my area.

Best of luck with your search!
    Chris

As long as the table trunnions are not broken not much to wear on a bandsaw. I would buy used and save money for upgraded blade guides.
    Location will tell us local prices to you.
    Bill D.
    Delta 14"= $500
    Grob 18", ten speed, welder, $1,800
    Northfield 20, $900. been up for 16 days? That is like 1/3 or 1/4 of real value. But it has a 12 " height extension. That may make it more then 8' tall.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-10-2023 at 11:55 PM.

I have the 10” Rikon as a secondary band saw. It’s a good little saw but is limited in what it can do. Mine is an early version with a 1/3 hp motor. Maybe the current version with ½ hp would be fine. That said, I would opt for the 14", if you can swing it.

Welcome to the forum.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sounds like your not sure where this hobby will take you, if you can afford the 14" saw go for it you may end up using it for a lot more than you think. The used band saw market is a good way to go but if you don't know much about band saws be careful and buy from some one you trust. Things do wear out, motors, switches, threaded fence inserts, tires, guides, fence adjusters, ect. all easy repairs. But if your not into repairing just walk away from eq. that looks very used.

Agree with everyone else. 14" if you can swing it. I started out with a 10", and quickly outgrew it. If I had the room, I would have kept it with a narrow blade for more scroll-type work. I didn't have the 10" Rikon, but from what everyone says it's one of the better examples of that size saw. So you may be able to squeeze a bit more juice out of it.

That being said, as other's have mentioned, you can probably find a used 14" Delta for the same price or less than the 10" Rikon. You can definitely find the 14" Rigid for less, which is still what I'm using and have major complaints when considering the cost. Took the time to tune it up (new tires, Cool Blocks, new spring, and balanced the wheels) and I was all-in about $350. It's performed quite well, including acceptably resawing 6" mahogany using a 1/2" blade. Of course, seeing what that modest upgrade can do has me itching to upgrade again as something like a Laguna 14|12 (or even a Harvey C14) which wouldn't take up more space than what I already have. But that's more of a wish at this point.

For making bandsaw boxes, it's helpful to have as much bandsaw height as you can, in order to make boxes tall enough. I have a 12" BS with only a 4.5 Inch resaw capacity and that's not enough. Go with a 14".
    < insert spurious quote here >

I still have my old Delta 14" that over the years has been modified with a riser block, two different versions of the Carter guides, the Carter tension release lever, and a larger side and outfeed table. It continues to serve me well. But when I decided to get a larger band saw, I opted for the Laguna and have never regretted it, even though prior to this purchase, my relationship with Laguna Tools' personnel was, shall we say, a bit rocky. As previously suggested, if going used, you can't go wrong with a 14" Delta. However, the Delta company, if it even still exists, "ain't what it use to be" and parts may be an issue. When one of the bearings went out on my upper wheel, I contacted DeWalt, which owned Delta at the time, and they said they had both bearings in stock. Even though one of the bearings was still ok, I figured replacing both at the same time made more sense. Rather than starting to deal with a bearing supply house, I chose to go a pick up the Delta bearings. After driving 80+ miles one way to pick them up, they informed me that, oops, they only had one bearing in stock, but they would back order the second one. That was over 8 years ago, and I am still waiting. Needless to say, at this point I avoid buying DeWalt. I understand people can make mistakes, but the folks at the DeWalt Factory Service Center were absolute jackasses about their screw up and Dewalt Customer Service was of no help.

If going new, I would still recommend the Laguna 14" over the Rikon 14" even though Rikon seems to have a good reputation. Laguna has two versions of the 14", an Asian import and an Italian import that obviously is more expensive. I ultimately went with the Italian version, but I the Asian import looked great. I now use the Delta with a 1/4" blade for curved work and the Laguna 18" for resaw and joinery.

Very foolish to buy a new 10" import when you can buy a used domestic Delta 14" for less.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Very foolish to buy a new 10" import when you can buy a used domestic Delta 14" for less.
    Some people prefer to buy new. Foolishness has nothing to do with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    ...Foolishness has nothing to do with it.
    I am reminded of the saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have the 10” Rikon. Because I sold my big iron in the move to the condo. The intended MBR is my hand tool shop

The bandsaw is outside on the deck, under a cover intended for a stack of patio chairs

The rikon is what I expected. So that’s good. In any other situation I would have the 14”

All the basic functions of a bandsaw are problematic with the 10” but I’m fine because this is what suited my situation They delivered on their promise and I have zero complaints

Buy the 14”

Can’t get edit working on my cell

Tensioning the blade is not great, but I get by the fence is not great, and resides somewhere I think. I made a replacement out of extrusions and UHMW, and drilled and tapped a hole i the table to mount an adjustable fence stop to keep the fence aligned. I’m fine with it because I have to be fine. No regrets.

14”. 14”. 14”

I’ve had a Delta 14, A Laguna LT 16, which I sold rather than ship cross country) and currently a Laguna14BX. I too am a hobbyist For my needs the BX has been excellent. I think a BS is worth a stretch financially as it just such a useful piece and it does not take a great deal of space and is quiet.

The used market varies so much depending on where you are and how long you wait. Between the two choices you listed I think I would go with the Grizzly 17" anniversary edition. It's the same price as the Rikon 14" (before shipping) yet is heavier and has an extra 1/2hp. Even though the Grizzly says it's 120 or 240 be aware that on 120v it might draw too much current and trip a breaker if pushed hard. It really should be on 240v or a 30a 120 circuit. I don't know why the Rikon has 13" of resaw height with only a 1 1/2hp motor. Trying to resaw anything close to that would be a true test of patents.