Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you change the oil on your whole house generator yourself?

I use conductive grease on mechanical electrical connections. I even fixed a non-working garage door opener by putting this on the little eye wires that just stick into the head assembly. It has a lot of black carbon in it, so you have to be really careful in handling it or you will get black grease fingerprints all over everything. I've never had an electrical connection fail with it, including on tractors and equipment that sits outside all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-...DKIKX0DER&th=1

It's not the same as di-electric grease. Di-electric is non conductive, but protects the area around where the contact is. This stuff increases the conductivity of the connection and still protects it from corrosion. The tradeoff is that it can be very messy.

I installed my own Kohler whole house generator. I have not had a power outage more than a couple second blip since I moved into the house in 2014. I have a well so I wanted the generator. I ran a 110 volt circuit out to the generator so I could have a Battery Tender connected to the battery.

I do all my own service work. Kohler was nice enough to install a long drain hose on the engine for draining the oil. Generac put cheap battery chargers in a lot of their generators that were boiling batteries dry. A battery that is overcharged will cause the clamps to corrode.

I have a whole house natural gas Kohler. The last time I had it serviced was 4/21 and the price was $412 which includes the tax, fees and travel from Salt Lake City to northern Utah. I'm going to call again Monday to see what the current price is and if it's about the same I'm going to schedule another service. The service tech showed me all the maintenance points last time (including checking brushes) and I watched the oil change process in case I wanted to do it myself, but honestly I just don't want to mess around with it, and would rather have a factory tech come out every two years. When he came out last time he said every two years was plenty often, and with NG fuel and synth oil I'm not too worried about it.