Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for feedback on two layout tools that I want...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Starrett does make some very good precision tools. Their framing squares are listed in their "jobsite and shop tools" section as opposed to precision tools and at the price I would not expect too much of them, The graduations are stamped, there is no listed accuracy and I would bet that those squares are sheared and deburred rather than machined to size. I would consider one a kit, like many tools, and expect to true it up with a file and center punch using the principles Mark alluded to.

If you want a really accurate large square (not a framing square) Starret makes one, and they charge a premium price for it. https://www.starrett.com/metrology/p...Specifications Woodpeckers make a similar one with a claimed accuracy of about .001"/ft. https://www.woodpeck.com/catalog/product_compare/ I don't know if anyone makes a traditional framing square with tighter standards then Lee Valley. The advantage of that design is that you can tweak it to reasonable accuracy, even after dropping it on the floor. I know someone who did that once.

According to not-so-favorable reviews on Amazon, the markings on the Starrett rafter square are painted on, and wear off before long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Another very nice framing square is the Chappell.

https://chappellsquare.com/

They sell some good timber framing books too.

I actually use that one a lot more than the Shinwa. Shinwa makes other nice layout tools too. I was thinking the LV square is a Shinwa.

Those look like a winner- thanks for the link. Will still run the Construction Master 'tho...

I like the old framing squares , never pass up one at a good price . Bought some good ones for 2 or 3 dollars , but that some years back.
    Some of them are have a longer blade than new stuff and are ridiculously heavy. If they are a bit off I file them perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Another very nice framing square is the Chappell.

https://chappellsquare.com/

They sell some good timber framing books too.

I actually use that one a lot more than the Shinwa. Shinwa makes other nice layout tools too. I was thinking the LV square is a Shinwa.
    For what it's worth

• How accurate are the squares?

The Chappell Universal Square is guaranteed to be square to within .003 of an inch over the length of the tongue. This makes it the most precise framing square on the market today.

I have the WP 26” square. I bought it because it has the positive engagement of the edge where a framing square you rely on open edge against open edge. It is exactly what I wanted and works as intended. One of the main jobs I use it for is setting my track saw to 90 when cutting plywood.
    The one downside is I recently discovered the number scales are off between the inside and outside edge so I cannot rely on their accuracy. I just measure independently now.

Overpriced toys won't replace care and knowledge. When I layout and build large assemblies, the only thing I use for checking squareness is length measurements. Trying to use triangles and carpenters squares and such leaves to many extra variables in the mix. If your board has the slight deviation from flat squares become useless.

Another vote for the woodpecker 26" framing square. Yes it is expensive but most really good tools are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    For what it's worth

• How accurate are the squares?

The Chappell Universal Square is guaranteed to be square to within .003 of an inch over the length of the tongue. This makes it the most precise framing square on the market today.

I see that Woodpeckers claims that their (shockingly expensive) square is square within .001 per 12", so less than .0015 for the tongue.

I wonder what the accuracy of a sheet of plywood is- often the measure of and standard for squareness in woodworking.

I purchased the WP 18" triangle in the set with the 12" triangle. At that time I don't think that TSO had their triangle available yet. I still use them both on a fairly regular basis. If the TSO offering had been available at that time, I would have probably purchased the MTR-18 set instead for the capability it has for doing miters. I purchase TSO's MTR-X set and use that for miters now and haven't quite convinced myself to invest in the MTR-18 as well though I have been sorely tempted. I also have the WP 2616 aluminum square that I used regularly until I purchased Benchdog Tool's SS600 stainless steel square. I've found that I much prefer the stainless steel squares for their thinner blades and lighter weight. FWIW, I like the WP SS squares a little bit better than the Benchdog version, but not enough the replace the ones I currently have.

Just my two cents.

Clint