Thread: New Hammer HS 950 Edge Sander Arrives

New Hammer HS 950 Edge Sander Arrives

So, woohoo , my Hammer HS 950 Edge Sander arrived from Felder yesterday. Was packed great on a pallet, but I'm really getting to old to deal with machinery this heavy, so I called the local rigging company that I used before to setup my workshop and they were great setting it up.
    Hammer HS 950 Edge Sander in Place.jpgHammer HS 950 Edge Sander on Pallet.jpgEdge Sander on Forklift.jpg

One unexpected downside, was despite what the specifications say, the working tables minimum height is about 3 inches higher than expected. Since it has so sit next to my jointer, long boards from the jointer would hit it, which is a non-starter.

So I'm building a base for the Jointer to raise it up. Aaargh!!!! I had to do similar things for the Felder planer that I have, so for whatever reason height adjustment again so that I can work with long boards in my space.

And, of course, now all the work with installing Nordfab adapters, a new blast gate, flexible duct hoses, and automating it by adding it to my Grit Automation system is in order. Fortunately, I already have a 220V outlet right there (for the whole house vacuum), so I just have to install the trigger. And Grit Automation, as usual, was stellar in tech support, and sent out all I needed the next day.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-09-2023 at 12:06 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Shorter base for the sander instead? Or is there something important in there? Seems like less work... ???

And, the first thing in my head when I saw the title was ... 'whoo hoo' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Shorter base for the sander instead? Or is there something important in there? Seems like less work... ???

And, the first thing in my head when I saw the title was ... 'whoo hoo' ...
    Actually, my thought was that building a shorter base (with storage) would be a better long-term solution, but time constraints for delivery (and having to hoist it up myself instead of the riggers) made for my solution.

Not a huge deal. The pieces are all done. Painted them the exact color (or a really close match) to the Felder color (Thanks Sherwin-Williams ColorMatch colorimeter.)

Of course now is that matter of squeezing in the narrow pallet jack to the side of the jointer and lifting it to get those wood blocks in.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Congrats, that’s a nice sander, and yes the head is very heavy…….Regards, Rod

I hope you enjoy having it. I definitely do not regret buying mine. I think it's the best edge sander on the market for this size and configuration.