Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio

Car Audio

I am about to pull the trigger on an upgrade for my car audio. Perhaps some will have opinions here.

The car is a 2001 Porsche Boxster S (known as a 986), which I have owned for about 15 years. The car is a great joy to drive, in excellent condition, and plan to keep it as long as I can get in-and-out without looking like a complete idiot!

It still has the original audio system, which comprises a Becker radio/CD with 6 speakers (dash, doors and rear parcel tray). I love listening to music in the car, but a “decent” audio system has been an extravagance I could not justify in the past (I have a decent audio system in the house, and even a very modest system in the workshop/garage). It is not just audio, but having a screen for GPS (better than using my iPhone) and a backup camera.

I’ve done the research and settled on the Alpine ilx-507a head unit, which is a new wireless model with Apple Play. There is a corresponding rear camera. The issue for me are whether I upgrade all the speakers, and whether I add an extra amplifier.

The head unit has outlets for 4 speakers, and I have seen a video where two extra amps were added to feed the 6 speakers. I am not clear whether this was done for the connection or the extra output - would an even higher output improve sound, assuming that the head unit has enough to drive what is there? Would more efficient speakers be the same/better? I have purchased one set of extra speakers for the doors (from Focal). The dash and rear could be done later (it is getting expensive, and there is also installation costs to add it - too complicated for me. Some components, such as the air con, will need to be re-located on the console. I’ve been quoted 6 hours).

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Biggest bang for the buck with vehicle audio is often in the speaker/amp arena, honestly, but upgrading that head unit to something modern is still a very good idea. In fact, it's nice that you can do that because it's no longer possible with many current generation vehicles. Any audio upgrades for current generation are pretty much limited to amp/speakers because the head units also control a "yuge" amount of the vehicle electronics.

As far as your options for speakers/amps, you might want to check out the US website for Crutchfield...it's a great information source, even if you can't practically buy from them in your geography. There's a lot of good information there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Been a long time since I dabbled in car audio but if you can find any of the Arc Audio KS 125.2 or 125.4 amplifiers still available, they are outstanding and super compact. In a sports car, the smaller size will probably be appreciated and these things are tiny. Class GH digital amplifiers done right. There may be newer versions of these from Arc or other manufacturers these days.

Of course, the gold ole days were when you could buy power hungry Class A and Class AB amplifiers for the car but they were huge, took lots of input power and put out tons of heat. The Class GH amps were game changer when they came out in my opinion. Especially if you want to hide the amp and not worry about showcasing it.

http://content.arcaudio.com/pdfs/rev...iews/mini4.pdf

Also any of the Robert Zeff designed amps are considered to be good. His work was not just with Arc Audio but included brands like Zapco, Clarion, etc.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 06-08-2023 at 8:59 PM.

Derek,
    Not sure if you have considered Porsche's PCCM Plus (support for CarPlay) for your 986. I have a 981 Cayman and am awaiting the arrival of PCCM Plus for the 981 generation. Also depends on what kind of music you listen to in the car, a Boxster I had one, is not an environment for a critical audiophile.

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerCampaign?ReadForm&cati=pccm&co untry=usa

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Biggest bang for the buck with vehicle audio is often in the speaker/amp arena, honestly, but upgrading that head unit to something modern is still a very good idea. In fact, it's nice that you can do that because it's no longer possible with many current generation vehicles. Any audio upgrades for current generation are pretty much limited to amp/speakers because the head units also control a "yuge" amount of the vehicle electronics.

As far as your options for speakers/amps, you might want to check out the US website for Crutchfield...it's a great information source, even if you can't practically buy from them in your geography. There's a lot of good information there.
    Thanks Jim

I have been on the Crutchfield website several times. They have great reviews and information, plus specific guidelines for equipment for many cars, including my own.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Been a long time since I dabbled in car audio but if you can find any of the Arc Audio KS 125.2 or 125.4 amplifiers still available, they are outstanding and super compact. In a sports car, the smaller size will probably be appreciated and these things are tiny. Class GH digital amplifiers done right. There may be newer versions of these from Arc or other manufacturers these days.

Of course, the gold ole days were when you could buy power hungry Class A and Class AB amplifiers for the car but they were huge, took lots of input power and put out tons of heat. The Class GH amps were game changer when they came out in my opinion. Especially if you want to hide the amp and not worry about showcasing it.

http://content.arcaudio.com/pdfs/rev...iews/mini4.pdf

Also any of the Robert Zeff designed amps are considered to be good. His work was not just with Arc Audio but included brands like Zapco, Clarion, etc.
    Thanks Greg

The Alpine ilx-507a is a very up-to-date head unit - I needed to be sure that the technology will be around for several years. Of note, it has wireless Apple Play, will stream Tidal (which I do at home), will play Hi Res FLAC files (from a USB port - I plan on adding a SSD), and has the first Class D amplification for a car audio unit. The amp in my home set up is a Class D made by Devialet (a French company).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-09-2023 at 8:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    Derek,
    Not sure if you have considered Porsche's PCCM Plus (support for CarPlay) for your 986. I have a 981 Cayman and am awaiting the arrival of PCCM Plus for the 981 generation. Also depends on what kind of music you listen to in the car, a Boxster I had one, is not an environment for a critical audiophile.

https://content.us.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerCampaign?ReadForm&cati=pccm&co untry=usa

jim

Jim, without even comparing which head unit is better (and they appear similar in many ways), the PCCM is three times the price of the Alpine. I suspect one is paying for the Porsche name (and then some!).

Alpine: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...e-iLX-507.html

As to music, not head-banging rock! I mainly listen to jazz, especially 60's.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-09-2023 at 8:18 AM.

Thanks for this thread. I've been needing to change the receiver in my truck for years, with only the FM working for those years, but just didn't think about it. I've been wanting a backup camera too, but just put off thinking about installing one of those too. This head can fit in my truck with Crutchfield even having the right mount and plugs on cables. The old amp and upgraded speakers still work great. The price is actually a lot less than I guessed it would be.

Before this question is lost ...

The issue for me are whether I upgrade all the speakers, and whether I add an extra amplifier.

Regards from Perth

Derek

As Jim pointed out above, biggest improvements come from speakers and amplification. I know you like to do things the right way, not just the throw money at it way, so personally I'd recommend just trying the head unit first to see what you think. If it gets loud enough but still doesn't sound great, then go to better speakers. You can always change out the speakers without having to pull the head unit out again. With speakers, I'd focus the money on the front end speakers and leave the rear speakers alone unless they are damaged. Lastly, if still not what you're after, then look at adding a higher quality amplifier than what's built into the head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Before this question is lost ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think that I agree with Greg here, especially since the new head unit is a given so you have support for modern features and capabilities. See how that sounds with the existing speakers, etc., and then work from there to fine tune it to what you like. It may be fine with stock speakers; it may benefit from some replacement speakers or all replacement speakers; those replacement speakers may or may not need additional amplification, etc. Do it building block style.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is the video that has lead to questions for me. In this video, the (Australian) installer is fitting an Alpine ilx-702, which is a similar model (actually, the predecessor of the one I am getting). The car is a Porsche 996 (911), which is essentially the same car as mine. He leaves the speakers stock. The head unit has 4 channels out, which means it can power of 4 speakers. The Boxster, however, has 6 speakers. Consequently, he adds two amplifiers (Alpine KTP-445U). Each of these has a 4 channel out, making 8 channels, and enough to power up all the speakers. The upshot is higher power (which is going to improve sound through extra headroom) and coverage of all speakers (with two extra over, which could power a sub woofer, if ever needed).

It is the coverage for all speakers that caught my eye.

I must add that there has been more discussion here than on the few audio forums I visited. That was a waste of time. Thanks all of you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

"The head unit has outlets for 4 speakers, and I have seen a video where two extra amps were added to feed the 6 speakers. I am not clear whether this was done for the connection or the extra output - would an even higher output improve sound, assuming that the head unit has enough to drive what is there? Would more efficient speakers be the same/better? I have purchased one set of extra speakers for the doors (from Focal). The dash and rear could be done later (it is getting expensive, and there is also installation costs to add it - too complicated for me."

Based on long ago
    experiences, you are handling this properly, next step would be an amp. then replace the rear speakers. I would not replace the dqash speakers due to the labor required for the little gain you will get. The car noise will override the gain from the dash speakers. Do what you feel you can comfortably afford as time goes by. Very easy to spend someone else's money.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    ... The car noise will override ...
    'Audiophile' quality stereo in a Porsche is fabulous.... until the light turns green. After that, my off-key whistle-humming sounds identical. Save the coin for an extra run at Pikes Peak. Just MHO.

(2008 Cayman S in Cobalt Blue)

sat in a 2004 Merecedes once motor off stereo adjusted a bit playing one of Gino Vanellis albums. Sound was excellent, no road noise great recording great song writer and singer and stellar musicians. Past lifetime in many top recording studios had a bit of a reference. Not as much now. Her other mercedes newer higher model with Harmon Kardon. Cant say I preferred the sound over the Blaupunk in the 2004. Her 2005 Corvette had a bose system. WIth the Borla exhaust you really didnt hear the stereo. Motor turned off as best as i could tell the stereo sounded like cardboard.

As a yute we hooked up a transistor radio to an Kef and coles five way transmission line with Falcon cross over. One or two high frequency drivers were Coles forgot the numbers 4001 or 3001 maybe. The volume was low but the sound made us laugh it was so good. Speakers are a big deal in that case the source was crap but the sound was impressive.

I thought about upgrading my truck stereo but whats next keyless entry and push button start?

P1050332A.jpg