Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freight charge for 1 qt of water based stain

Freight charge for 1 qt of water based stain

I ordered flooring from Baird Brothers in , OH near Youngstown. Fedex freight charge for 1 qt of water based stain was over $30. I questioned Baird on this, but got no where. My experience with them was excellent, but this seems weird to me.

I worked in the Industrial market, Mechanical Power Transmission, and was Purchasing Manager and Product Manager last 10 years. Worked closely with our warehouses. We had to have a certificate to ship aerosols (since they would often go on a flight) since they were petroleum based and under pressure, but we could and rates were in line with normal UPS/Fedex ground shipping.

I for the life of me can't figure out why this would cost so much to ship?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Some companies will only use a single carrier.

Many carriers have restrictions on liquids or hazardous materials.

Even though a water based stain isn't necessarily hazardous, the shipper may have generic wording that treats all liquids the same as if they were dangerous materials.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

on the last couple of items that I shipped after selling them on the forum I noticed that Fedex was over $20 more for the exact same box compared to UPS. No clue why because it used to be the other way around from my location. Both prices were well more than expected though.

Jim & Greg: thanks for giving me some perspective. Brian
    Brian

Years ago, I ordered some R-404a Freon ( 30# cylinder.) Shipping was less than $20, but haz mat charge was over $50. Used to get R-22 thu local O'Reily's stores, as they shipped free to store on their trucks. Unfortunately, last two shipments disappeared from their trucks,or warehouses, so they no longer shipped to any store. At that time a cylinder of R-22 was about $300.

Shipping can be crazy with anything. Often I'll be looking at buying a hardwood turning blank around 12"round by 3" thick. It may list at around $25 so when I go to check out the shipping charge will be $75 dollars or more. No thanks.

Be aware the selling company can mark up the shipping charges and they sometimes do.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I noticed that McMaster-Carr [relatively] recently began showing shipping charges (maybe in 2022?)
    Since time out of mind they had never shown that. People said that if you call before placing the order you can get an "close approximation" of what the charge will be.
    HA! no such approximation that I got was ever close to the real thing. I got charged $25 shipping for 12" piece of threaded rod that cost <$10. I was told that the shipping would be ~ $6.
    So, I guess McM-C finally got the memo.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Be aware the selling company can mark up the shipping charges and they sometimes do.
    Vendor shipping isn't just for the carrier charges in many cases...it's also for packing and handling labor and materials. So the cost charged being more than the USPS/FedEX/UPS/DHL/etc charges shouldn't be surprising. Those handling costs are not necessarily less for a small package than they are for a large package, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I find something online, I usually end up ordered from Amazon, and with Prime its sometimes Free.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I noticed that McMaster-Carr [relatively] recently began showing shipping charges (maybe in 2022?)
    Since time out of mind they had never shown that. People said that if you call before placing the order you can get an "close approximation" of what the charge will be.
    HA! no such approximation that I got was ever close to the real thing. I got charged $25 shipping for 12" piece of threaded rod that cost <$10. I was told that the shipping would be ~ $6.
    So, I guess McM-C finally got the memo.
    https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-Galv...%2C113&sr=8-14

I suspect that is a seller charge, not shipper. The reason I think so is that I have ordered auto finishes several times in the last year or so. Paint, filler primer, epoxy primer etc. All were delivered cheaper than I could buy local. Indicates to me that the shipper isn't overcharging. But, all came with special precautions in packaging. Clips that hold the lid to the can, heavy plastic bag enclosing the can and fitted foam between the can and box. All that would have been seller supplied.

Rod was brass and a "not typically in demand" size...believe me, if Amazon had carried it I would have ordered it from Jeff.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I needed new O-rings for my Jessem router guides. I ordered two sets as I also have the TS guides, and they had all turned to goo. I checked into buying them elsewhere, but couldn't be sure of the proper type, so just bought them from Jessem and punched the order key without checking on shipping.

They came in a small envelope, weighed about an ounce or so, and the shipping cost was $20 for 8 O-rings.

PS: A tip. Don't buy extra's to use after they wear out. I have an extra set of guides, unopened in the box, and the O-rings were also mushy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I needed new O-rings for my Jessem router guides. I ordered two sets as I also have the TS guides, and they had all turned to goo. I checked into buying them elsewhere, but couldn't be sure of the proper type, so just bought them from Jessem and punched the order key without checking on shipping.

They came in a small envelope, weighed about an ounce or so, and the shipping cost was $20 for 8 O-rings.

PS: A tip. Don't buy extra's to use after they wear out. I have an extra set of guides, unopened in the box, and the O-rings were also mushy.
    Years ago I purchased a O ring assortment kit and its paid for its self over and over.