Thread: what is this

what is this

I bought a lathe and tools and this was on a slow speed grinder it is 8"x1" and sold alum. and the coating is a brownish red could this be a cbn wheel all cbn wheels I have seen are grey. Thanks Jim
    IMG-1016.jpgIMG-1017.jpgIMG-1018.jpg

CBN wheels come is all shapes sizes and colors these days.
    That "looks" like maybe it's a woodriver (woodcraft) brand
    https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=cbn&button=search
    Many aluminum wheels look simialr

Quote Originally Posted by james pittman View Post
    I bought a lathe and tools and this was on a slow speed grinder it is 8"x1" and sold alum. and the coating is a brownish red could this be a cbn wheel all cbn wheels I have seen are grey. Thanks Jim
    That's a Woodriver diamond resin matrix wheel. They stopped offering them when the CBN wheels dropped in price. The advice is that CBN is better for HSS. Diamond is still suitable for carbide tool bits, but unless you also have some of them to sharpen you are better off with CBN for your HSS tools.

One of the issues with the diamond matrix wheels is that, unlike the sintered CBN wheels, the matrix can wear away unevenly and they are a challenge to bring back to true. They can be sent to have that done commercially, but the cost of doing that a few times is not worth it compared to going over to sintered CBN that won't have that issue.

IME, matrix bonded wheels also grind much slower than sintered wheels.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...