Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy an extended warranty?

Blog Entries

Should I buy an extended warranty?

I just bought a new Subaru Ascent. it seems to be loaded with computer chips to do everything. I'm sure I'll never know how to, or will I use half of the icons that are shown on the display.
    I have never bought an extended warranty in my life but given how complicated this car seems to be I am considering buying one. it comes with a 3-year bumper to bumper warranty. I can extend the bumper-to-bumper warranty to 8 years in total for $1,650.
    What do you think?

Thanks
    Dennis

I don't for most things. However, for $330 a year for 5 extra years, I would. The chips and complete boards can be pretty costly.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    I don't for most things. However, for $330 a year for 5 extra years, I would. The chips and complete boards can be pretty costly.
    I agree. For something as expensive as today's cars, and considering the newness of so much of the technology, and what it would cost you out of pocket to repair, I think it's wise in this case.

A big downside that makes me cringe is that you are also financing that $1650. Ugh.

But we did it and I'm glad to have the extra protection. We are being as aggressive as we can to pay this loan off as quickly as possible.

I'm a 2023 Ascent owner; touch screen display is $2k to replace, CVT is $6k+. I bought the extended warranty.

I've have good luck with extended warranties over the years. At $1650, to me that's a no-brainer.

In the past, I've had 6 transmissions, an engine block and other misc parts, so I've pretty much got my money's worth.

We just bought a Subaru Outback and got the extended warranty due to all the electronics. We don’t drive it a lot so we got a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Read the fine print - before you buy one.

Make sure you'll be getting all the coverage you think you're getting & what is required on your part to meet the requirements.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I don't usually buy them but I did for my 2021 Ranger. All the electronics are very costly to repair / replace.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The general rule is "the house always wins", and modern cars on average are pretty trouble free over their first decade of life. So For most cars, most of the time, I'd decline. If I ever bought another BMW OTOH, I'd sign right up. Weird incentives pop up in automotive financing, and I don't pretend to understand it. This could be one of those rare deals that's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I don't usually buy them but I did for my 2021 Ranger. All the electronics are very costly to repair / replace.
    Ditto the cars themselves engines and the like pretty much trouble free, electronics not.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My reasoning, admittedly old school, is that if it's something like electronics, its going to break in the first year or so (that is, from a defect, not wear and tear). So no extended warranty. With one exception - the tires. We've had so many tires damaged and replaced, that I'll ask for that. And I am leaning towards buying a new car every three years.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Thats a good price for 5 extra years. Whats the mileage limit? American Pickups used to come with 100k but they dropped to 60k in 2017 or so. I paid 3,000 to extend to 100k at the time. As my previous chevy lost the trans at 108k and exhaust valves started sticking 4k after that. I feel cars have become a thing with engineered failures. Buy it.

We bought the warranty on the 2020 RAV4 TRD. It was an effective sales presentation by the dealer. Simply put, “there are an about a million computers in this thing….” It is the first auto extended warranty I’ve purchased. Have you ever noticed that 90% of vehicles with a headlight out are Subbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My reasoning, admittedly old school, is that if it's something like electronics, its going to break in the first year or so (that is, from a defect, not wear and tear). So no extended warranty. With one exception - the tires. We've had so many tires damaged and replaced, that I'll ask for that. And I am leaning towards buying a new car every three years.
    The electronics in your TV or Microwave and so on, are not like automotive. Try taking your Honda to the dealer and have tell you well it could be this or that but its $800 to replace and we can not guarantee that will fix it! They stop putting parts on when you run out of money. This was a 6 year old Honda CRV and a true story. We ended up trading it in for a Toyota RAV4 and they seemed to not care about the check Engine Light. Yes we purchased the added warranty.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Adding to everyone else,
    Years ago when working on cars, Subaru's were among the most expensive for parts.
    An alternator for that car is $350
    I would recommend the warranty