Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubricating table saw trunion gear teeth and worm gear ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lubricating table saw trunion gear teeth and worm gear ?

Recently my Sawstop contractor saw tilt mechanism started getting tighter and tighter until, finally, it would barely budge at all, even if I had both hands on the wheel and applied all my weight.

I contract Sawstop's excellent (as always) customer support and they suggested cleaning the trunion teeth and worm gear. This surprised me a bit as I am a very infrequent user of my saw, and there really wasn't much stuff there, but I gave it a shot. I couldn't get a brass brush in there to clean the teeth - the opening at the front is slightly offset from the height of the teeth, but after a long, long time and a lot of compressed air it is finally moving again.

Sawstop recommended lubricating these parts, and suggested a wheel bearing grease, but I know a lot of people don't like greases since they attract dust - and since that's what presumably caused my problem, I'm loathe to go there again. They also suggested a dry silicon lube, but I thought silicon products were a no-no near your table saw. They also said that dry silicon lube would not hold up well to the pressures between those parts and would require more frequent lubrication (not a problem).

What's the current wisdom on lubricating these parts ? I've seen people suggesting just about everything - paste wax, T9, vaseline, powdered graphite.

Specific product suggestions would be appreciated !

Also, what do I need to do to prep for lubrication ? I'd really, really rather not have to take the top off let alone disassemble the parts. Is blowing with compressed air enough ? If things are moving freely now, is that clean enough ?

thanks !!

I have always used what saw gurus and Delta has been recommended for years--Paste wax applied with an old toothbrush. The solvents in Johnson Wax will clean out any gunk and apply a new wax film on the teeth. Crank the raising/lowering wheel as you brush in the wax. Wipe up any exess. Wax is a excellent low speed lubricant and does not attract or hold sawdust.

LIghtly oil the other moving parts using a 30 weight 3&1 oil wiping up all the excess.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    I have the SS contractor's saw and have experienced the issue. I get under the saw every 2 months or so and clean the gears with a small brush. I use the dry silicon lube (sparingly). I am going to improve the Dust collection on the saw. That should reduce the need to manually clean it as often.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I use white lithium grease on trunion ways. Just a thin film and wipe off as much excess as possible. Yes, in a perfect world, you would not want any grease where sawdust can accumulate but in high-friction applications like fitted ways, dry film lube just doesn't stay on the metal. At least not for me. No matter how you slice it, standard cabinet saws are going to need routine maintenance like cleaning those trunions. It's the nature of their dust collection.

best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    I used to use a dry teflon spray and that seems to work well without catching dust, but I'm out of it now and haven't been able to find any so I'm switching to paste wax. They make some bicycle chain lubes that are dry teflon that might work as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What Howard said.

My 1954 Unisaw doesn't really require much lubrication, I think it's been 5 years since I last did it, but it moves silky smooth. Sawstop's design must be sensitive to dust.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I used to use a dry teflon spray and that seems to work well without catching dust, but I'm out of it now and haven't been able to find any so I'm switching to paste wax. They make some bicycle chain lubes that are dry teflon that might work as well.
    Lee, I think Lowes might carry what you want. Is this it?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963...ube&facetInfo=

036121191570lg.jpg

Blog Entries
    I use what Curt shows. Cheap and effective BUT, poor dust collection will allow any geared sawdust maker to foul. Fix your airflow to adequately remove the spoil and your problems will go away ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When my motor was being replaced in my PM66 I was talking to the technician about greasing the trunion gear. He said that's not where the problem is, it's the shaft that the worm gear is on that needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Mostly just cleaned where it passes through the frame of the trunnion assembly. He said sawdust builds up in there and causes it to bind.

-Alden

I used “Never Seize” , works for a long time . Messy, wear plastic gloves . Change gloves before any surgery!

I did my Unisaw the other day. Medium grease, oil on the pivots and shafts. Took top table off & cleaned, mostly just with blower- not much to scrub.

Nice and smooth again! Don't remember the last time, 5-10 years ago?

For those considering Dri -Slide... (I am... the DeW jobsite saws have the same [chronic] problem...there are Youtube vids that present all kinds of remedies...)

Exact same stuff, same size can, same product numbers (but presented slightly differently). Save yourself a few shekels...

Dri-Slide ACDelco

Dri-Slide GM
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Eight year old thread. I like the newish Dupont chain saver lube in a spray can. No silicone. Teflon and wax in a spray can. Self cleaning.
    Bill D

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Mo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Eight year old thread....Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Lee, I think Lowes might carry what you want. Is this it?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963...ube&facetInfo=

036121191570lg.jpg
    This is what I use.