Thread: new flooring & trimming around the fireplace hearth

new flooring & trimming around the fireplace hearth

We're planning on putting down some prefinished hard maple flooring. My fireplace hearth height is only going to be 3/8" above the new floor height. Really don't want to use quarter round up against the slate tile or grout. Can't think of a premade trim profile that might work for this vs milling something in the shop the cutting a relief so it can overlap[ the hearth a little bit , like a threshold molding. Std threshold molding doesn't have enough of a relieve cut for the 3/8" height.

Thanks for any help.

Brian
    Brian

As I said in the other thread, I'd fit the flooring to the fireplace. Fit the piece along the front, if it runs parallel, and start with that piece. The adjacent sides just need each piece fitted, which is a lot easier. Any molding is not going to fit perfectly anyway.

I know you said you were getting someone else to install it, but you could have it fitted when they come to work.

I've done this two ways, one is to scribe and fit the boards to the stone/brick/concrete as Tom suggests, the other, which I think sometimes ends up looking better and covers uneven heights in the stone, is to make a molding that overlaps the edge by a quarter to half an inch. I've gotten away with that piece being quite thin at the overlap when trying to minimize height differential. Some grout will help support the thin edge if needed. The trim board can be made wedge shaped if it needs to rise a bit from the flooring height to the hearth hight. The thicker it needs to be the wider I make the trim so that the slope is very gentle. I do the same thing at doorway transitions, using a piece maybe 6" wide to accommodate a quarter inch height differential. It doesn't seem to create a trip hazard at that slope. An abrupt change is definitely problematic.

Yes, I need to make a custom trim piece for each situation-- but then that one of the ways I justify having such a huge shop to my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    As I said in the other thread, I'd fit the flooring to the fireplace. Fit the piece along the front, if it runs parallel, and start with that piece. The adjacent sides just need each piece fitted, which is a lot easier. Any molding is not going to fit perfectly anyway.

I know you said you were getting someone else to install it, but you could have it fitted when they come to work.
    I saw your previous post, but not the look I want. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've done this two ways, one is to scribe and fit the boards to the stone/brick/concrete as Tom suggests, the other, which I think sometimes ends up looking better and covers uneven heights in the stone, is to make a molding that overlaps the edge by a quarter to half an inch. I've gotten away with that piece being quite thin at the overlap when trying to minimize height differential. Some grout will help support the thin edge if needed. The trim board can be made wedge shaped if it needs to rise a bit from the flooring height to the hearth hight. The thicker it needs to be the wider I make the trim so that the slope is very gentle. I do the same thing at doorway transitions, using a piece maybe 6" wide to accommodate a quarter inch height differential. It doesn't seem to create a trip hazard at that slope. An abrupt change is definitely problematic.

Yes, I need to make a custom trim piece for each situation-- but then that one of the ways I justify having such a huge shop to my wife.
    Roger, I was trying to avoid this, but... There are threshold molding that are like this. I think I can make this work or make something like it myself. I don't like the amount of relive cut. I would over lap the height of the heart edge by maybe 1//4". The relief at 1/2 might actually be 5/8" to the bottom of the molding, but I would like less cut out. Thanks. Brian

https://www.artisticfinishes.com/Pro...MoldingDwg=011
    Brian