Thread: Rikon 70-3040 vs Harvey T60S

Rikon 70-3040 vs Harvey T60S

Hello folks,

I'm in the market for a new lathe to replace my Powermatic 3520A.

I'd like to get a Robust American Beauty but I don't want to spend that much. What I'm considering are the Rikon 70-3040 and the Harvey T60S.

Both of these look like good products at a similar price but I've never put my hands on either one.

Does anyone here have experience with either (or ideally, both) of these lathes they would like to share? Any downsides that might not get mentioned in otherwise positive reviews?

Thanks for your help.

-Pete

Why do you want to replace your 3520A? Of the 3520 models it is my favorite. Low speed range goes up to 1500 while the B and C only go up to 1200. I do not consider that an improvement. Also, the minimum speed on the A is about 5 to 10 rpm. I need that speed for sanding my warped bowls. I like the headstock design better as well. The spindle mounting point is much closer to the headstock than on the B or C.

robo hippy

Reed, the electronics have gone south and I'm tired of dealing with it. I wasn't in the mind to switch until it stopped working.

The lathes I mentioned have a bigger swing, so that's a plus.

Well, there were some design elements on the A that I liked better than on my AB. My favorite bowl lathe is a Vicmark 240. They ain't cheap. I would have an electrician fix it for me, mostly because I don't know what I am doing....

robo hippy

A functioning PM lathe is also going to have good resale value, would think about fixing it either way.

Ok, I must admit to being a bit frustrated here. I wasn't asking about the characteristics of the Powermatic. I've had it for 15 years but now I'm having problems with it (and I might have someone willing to buy it as is). I'm aware of it's pros and cons. Right now I'm trying to consider other options. Does anyone have any thoughts (that might not be simply gleaned by reading the specs) about the Rikon 70-3040 or the Harvey T60?

Thanks.

I don't own either, but I'll give my thoughts on them. The Rikon expanding bed is nice if you are space limited. OTH, that feature also means no sliding or rotating headstock. That would be a deal breaker for me.

The Harvey is beautiful and looks to be well made. Some have reservations about the DC motor. Because we are seeing more DC motors, perhaps such reticence isn't justified. If their claims are true, tt may actually be better than a 3 phase with converter.

I think it's obvious for me: the Harvey would be the winner. Though I'd have to think long and hard about a new 3520.

They both look nice and the Rikon certainly is innovative. My concern is how many specialized parts do they have that might render the machine useless if they fail and parts are not available. Many years ago now, I passed on the then new Nova DVR because I was concerned if its headstock/motor could not be repaired or replaced so I went with a lathe that used a standard motor and VFD. History, I believe, has shown my fears to be unfounded and the DVRs are very reliable and Nova is still in business.

I know bupkus about lathes but I did get an email that all Rikon lathes are 10% off at Woodcraft.

https://www.woodcraft.com/categories..._content=Rikon

I don't know how long this sale is good for.