Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm at that stage in life....

I'm at that stage in life.

Where I probably will never buy another pencil

If you think about it after the age of 65 it is likely to be true

Andrew, what's your smallest sail and board? Old windsurfer here too.

Blog Entries
    Where I probably will never buy another pencil
    I've got a few dozen #1 pencils squirreled away, just have to remember where.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Andrew, what's your smallest sail and board? Old windsurfer here too.
    Hi Tom thanks for asking. I'm lucky to get to sail on the Columbia River. My smallest sail is a 2.8. My main board is 66 liters. Mostly I'm on a 3.7 or 4.2 sail. For light wind days averaging 18 to 20 miles an hour I have a 4.7 and a 75 liter board.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Andrew, I am sorry to hear about your wife's health issue! My wife was diagnosed with a rare and deadly form of cancer 31 years ago. We took her to the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle for treatment. She elected to have a radical surgery procedure. A team of 5 surgeons worked on her for 7 hours led by a professor/MD from Iran. She's upstairs dressing for her women's church group meeting. I hope you are as blessed as well. I have enjoyed the Grandpa's gleam in the eye of seeing the newest generation of family members learning a new joy! Windsurf? At 72? You are DA Man who represents us old guys! You, Sir, are blessed with a loving wife!
    Thanks Ken for your support and compliments. Your wife's story gives us hope. Yes, I feel blessed.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Lot older than 72... just had a fellow high school classmate complain about old age problems... responded with "Sure beats the alternative".

What's frustrating to me, is getting out of bed in the morning and finding a new ache or pain. Like, did I just hurt myself sleeping?
    < insert spurious quote here >

Andrew, I hadn't noticed your location. That's a great backyard. My smallest sail here is a 3.5. It's maybe once every three years that I can use it here, and then only for a few hours. We're completely dependent on weather system wind here.

This is one of those rare days here. Blowing 28 that day and I don't remember the gusts. Completely dependent on cold fronts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-02-2023 at 10:14 PM.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    progression of the male type................
    When we are bore we are cute and cuddly everybody loves us

By the time we are two years old our parents are ready to trade us in

At four to six years we are inquisitive getting into everything driving mom and dad crazy

At eight to twelve years we kind of straighten out and the hope mom and dad thought was faded away starts co come back into their their minds.

Thirteen to about seventeen we start to discover girls and we have no clue what a mistake this is going to be . Real changes are going on in our life most of them are somehow connected to that tender trap we simply can't resist. We hope our faces will clear and our voices quit squeaking when we speak.

On to eighteen to twenty the world is our oyster we have collected all the knowledge of the universe and really think the rest of the world especially our parents are dumber than ditch water. We are invincible !

Twenty one to out later twenties we have mostly embarrassed our selves with the prime cause being alcohol and that tender trap thing but most of our friends don't really care because they are constantly sitting in the same boat.

By the time we are into our thirties the women we have selected to be "the one" some day will own both halves of out belongings. Most of them become Divorce Barbie you know the girl doll that comes with all of Ken's stuff.
    This typically happens because the loves our life have have stopped trying to change us because they have realized THEY CAN'T FIX STUPID.

About the time we are in our forties our hair is starting to thin, that invincible attitude we once had turns into hope Rogaine really works. We start thinking of those glory days and all the great times we had with the girls that will not even give a second look now.
    The sports car we buy and the excessive amount of cologne we wear is the smoke screen we apply to try and hide our middle age insecurities.

Ah the fifties we have fallen into that unavoidable disease called dunn-lapps disease you know the thing where our bellies dunn-lap to some degree over our belts

The sixties we are slowing down now because we have mostly given up on recovering those glory days that really only existed in our minds in the first place. We brag about our conquests to those same friends who are still stuck in the same sinking boat we are in.

The seventies , we come to the realization it is pretty much over. Half of all the money we recovered after divorce Barbie took her cut we blew on women and searching for the good time, the other half of our money we realize we just wasted.

Now in our eighties our belt line has risen to a place on our bodies somewhere above our belly and below our arm pits. we gripe about the economy and have lost all tolerance to handle the climate hot or cold. We think the world has gone to hell but fail to realize the world has simply moved on and we never got the memo.

It has been a long bumpy road by now as we fall asleep in our chair out on the porch our heads laying on one side of our shoulders as we drool on our shirts.

Damn IT HAS BEEN GOOD TO BE A GUY
    calabrese55

Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

I will be 77 in a couple of months. I noticed the other day my Primary Care Physician is now being referred to as my “Chronic Conditions Coordinator” on the hospitals online websites.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

The last time I had my driver's license renewed, it was good for five years through my 72nd year without glasses. 73rd birthday this month. Now they won't renew it online without me coming in for an eye test. I hope I don't have to go in to get it renewed every year. I have never worn glasses, but wonder if I show up with some no correction lenses if it would be good for five years with glasses.

I know I really should go get a physical, but so far the one for the Vietnam draft has lasted me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I've got a few dozen #1 pencils squirreled away, just have to remember where.

jtk
    Well Jim, the second thing to go is the mind……Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I know I really should go get a physical, but so far the one for the Vietnam draft has lasted me.
    Heh. Just had my annual "fly-by" at the doctor last week. She made her usual noises about various borderline lab numbers, I made my usual comment about coming into the world bald and fat and intending to leave the same way. The "nag factor" was lower than in past years though. She's either coming around to my point of view or I've "aged out" of some stuff that she was obsessive about 10 years ago.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I don't go to lady doctors I get enough nagggggggging from my wife.
    Seriously though it gets me how some doctors who spend maybe 30 minutes in your life once or twice a year can give you orders and charge you for the information about the healthy things that we know we should be doing anyway and choose to ignore even on the way to see the doctor.
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    I don't go to lady doctors I get enough nagggggggging from my wife.
    Over the years, I haven't noticed that female docs nag any more or less than male docs.
    But they do have smaller fingers.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.