Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm at that stage in life....

I'm at that stage in life....

My biggest fear is I will appear as a headline in the local paper "Man loses his life in house fire when he goes back in for his eyes, ears and teeth".
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken , I take this stuff seriously. I would add “ Ken was trying to save all all of his old girl friends pics and and his collection of of old
    Route 66 episodes .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Ken , I take this stuff seriously. I would add “ Ken was trying to save all all of his old girl friends pics and and his collection of of old
    Route 66 episodes .
    RIP George Maharis.

I have an allergy to the Happy Birthday song. Every time it's sung to me, something new hurts, or doesn't work. Getting old isn't for sissies!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    My biggest fear is I will appear as a headline in the local paper "Man loses his life in house fire when he goes back in for his eyes, ears and teeth".
    IOW, you won't be around to enjoy your 15 minutes.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of the normal aches & pains that people in their 70's have and yet, I am enjoying myself. My father died 6 weeks before this 48th birthday. To have lived to see my kids grow up, the older bunch of grandkids become adults and parents giving us great-grandkids. We have a 27 year span in our grandkids so we still have 3 grandkids 13 and under. We have great-grandkids driving my wife's old Honda Accord. I have friends who are a whole lot worse off than I. I feel blessed! Old folks can have fun!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-01-2023 at 10:10 PM.
    Ken

An old man told me one time that he'd gotten to the stage in life where Christmas came twice a year. I thought he was just a crazy old man. Now I'm the crazy old man.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of the normal aches & pains that people in their 70's have and yet, I am enjoying myself. My father died 6 weeks before this 48th birthday. To have lived to see my kids grow up, the older bunch of grandkids become adults and parents giving us great-grandkids. I have friends who are a whole lot worse off than I. I feel blessed! Old folks can have fun!
    Absolutely! I'm 72, two grandboys. 12 and 8 year old brothers. Raised so beautifully by our daughter and son-in-law, they are such a joy. Right now, gardening is all consuming- I always raise too many veggies and flowers from seed, and it's a chore to get them all planted. But we will- we always do.

Right now the Black Locusts are heavy with flowers and the air smells like the finest perfume.

Then after all my plants are in the ground, I get to spend time in the shop again.

Ahhhhhhh...... retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    An old man told me one time that he'd gotten to the stage in life where Christmas came twice a year. I thought he was just a crazy old man. Now I'm the crazy old man.
    Here's to all of us crazy old men!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I have an allergy to the Happy Birthday song. Every time it's sung to me, something new hurts, or doesn't work. Getting old isn't for sissies!
    Ask your “subjects “ to sing “ God Save The King Guy”

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Ask your “subjects “ to sing “ God Save The King Guy”
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I enjoy every birthday, because I've made it another year. The aches and pains are annoying, but they generally don't stop me from doing what I want to do.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

People ask me what I want for my birthday. I tell them I don’t want anything. As long as I keep having them, I’m good.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of the normal aches & pains that people in their 70's have and yet, I am enjoying myself. My father died 6 weeks before this 48th birthday. To have lived to see my kids grow up, the older bunch of grandkids become adults and parents giving us great-grandkids. We have a 27 year span in our grandkids so we still have 3 grandkids 13 and under. We have great-grandkids driving my wife's old Honda Accord. I have friends who are a whole lot worse off than I. I feel blessed! Old folks can have fun!

I like your attitude Ken. Attitude is everything in my opinion.

I'm 72 years old and have a very challenging life lately. My wife was just diagnosed with cancer and we take care of three great-grand babies almost full-time. In the middle of all this stress today I got to take a walk with my one-and-a-half-year-old great-grandson Leo. He is fascinated with the new car wash down the street. As soon as I said car wash I get to see him take off running with all that joy in his eyes. So I said thank you God! In the midst of all our stress I get the pleasure of guiding a new life. I'm so grateful to have a wife that in the midst of all her scheduling of appointments and stress she arranges things so I can still windsurf in the summer! Bless my family I love them so much I'm so lucky.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Andrew, I am sorry to hear about your wife's health issue! My wife was diagnosed with a rare and deadly form of cancer 31 years ago. We took her to the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle for treatment. She elected to have a radical surgery procedure. A team of 5 surgeons worked on her for 7 hours led by a professor/MD from Iran. She's upstairs dressing for her women's church group meeting. I hope you are as blessed as well. I have enjoyed the Grandpa's gleam in the eye of seeing the newest generation of family members learning a new joy! Windsurf? At 72? You are DA Man who represents us old guys! You, Sir, are blessed with a loving wife!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-02-2023 at 1:02 PM.
    Ken