Thread: WTB - Lie Nielsen 18° Skewed Jaw Pair, Right

WTB - Lie Nielsen 18° Skewed Jaw Pair, Right

These are the jaw set that fit the Lie Nielsen honing guide. Let me know if you happen to have a set that you will part with. Thanks!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honing_guide.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	502144

I ended up 3D printing the jaws that were out of stock and not available for purchase. I was able to get the captive screws so the screws stay in like the LN ones. The plastic is not as grippy as the steel, but it works. I expect to replace the plastic jaws if/when the LN ones are available again. The advantage of the 3D printed jaws is that I can make custom jaws. I also printed a base that I could use to store the jaws. The base has threaded holes that allow the jaws to be attached so that they don't go missing.

I love the innovation there! If you 3m contact sprayed the inside edges of the jaws: I wonder if that would help with Gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Erthal View Post
    I love the innovation there! If you 3m contact sprayed the inside edges of the jaws: I wonder if that would help with Gripping.
    I would have described it as pandemic plus new 3D printer, but I like "innovation" better :-)

I am going to try the 3M spray. That sounds like a great idea.

Sounds like a great fix! Who knows when the 140 will become available again and therefore the need for the skew jaws. But, I do have a couple of the 140s and would like to be able to hone the blades. I suppose if this query doesn't produce a set I will acquire a Veritas honing setup and skew register.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Sounds like a great fix! Who knows when the 140 will become available again and therefore the need for the skew jaws. But, I do have a couple of the 140s and would like to be able to hone the blades. I suppose if this query doesn't produce a set I will acquire a Veritas honing setup and skew register.
    John,
    I purchased the Veritas Mk.II honing guide with most of the attachments (including skew register) before LN released their honing guide. It works okay. Since I have mostly LN planes I’m sure the LN version is better suited to my needs and, had it been available, would have opted for it. However, I wasn’t willing to invest $300+ on another sharpening system. So I make do with a decent alternative.

I know I bought the left jaws from them about a year ago, and I got the right ones a few months after that. Since they’re both out, they’ll probably do a run soon.

They also had a couple batches of the Iron No. 140 and they were still for sale at the current, updated price, maybe a month or two ago. So, still in production and the jaws should follow.

Thanks, Justin. I think I am in good shape at this point as I ended up buying a used Veritas Mark II deluxe set and ordered the skew registration jig from LV.