Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New car “ fees”. Yikes!

Around here, new inventory on just about anything popular is still scarce, and the dealers aren't negotiating. I just went to my Toyota dealer for service, and almost all the vehicles on the showroom floor were used. I talked to a salesperson, who I actually like, and she said they have waiting lists for which a $1000 deposit is required. Take it or leave it. Similar experience at the Honda and Nissan dealers. So I am skeptical that the old negotiating tricks still work.

Then, every month or so, they send me a postcard that tells me exactly what they estimate my car is worth as a trade-in.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Roger dodger, Jim. Thanks for the coaching.
    (Will use it late next year.)
    The only way to stop abusive vehicle sales practices is to not accept them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Around here, new inventory on just about anything popular is still scarce, and the dealers aren't negotiating. I just went to my Toyota dealer for service, and almost all the vehicles on the showroom floor were used. I talked to a salesperson, who I actually like, and she said they have waiting lists for which a $1000 deposit is required. Take it or leave it. Similar experience at the Honda and Nissan dealers. So I am skeptical that the old negotiating tricks still work..
    Keep in mind that you don't have to buy locally. If you can save several thousand dollars buying in a different market, do that since the cost of travel to pick it up will not be significant compared with the savings for buying in a more competitive geography. This doesn't affect any warranty/service coverage...dealer service departments are completely different profit centers and the warranty comes from the manufacturer. The latter can be used at any dealer in the country that is authorized for that brand. Getting quotes can at least give you some bargaining power with the local folks, too.

Example...say you want to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee. About the best price in the country is at Koons in Tyson's Corner VA because of their "group buy" vendor status at the Jeep Garage forum. I'm talking 6% below invoice. If you took a one way flight to DC it would cost you a few hundred dollars and they will pick you up from the Metro station after you take the Metro from the airport. You pay them, take delivery and then enjoy a nice, quiet drive home. That's just one example.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-03-2023 at 9:57 AM.
    --

Pay attention to what you sign as well. The last new vehicle I bought I signed paperwork saying I didn't want XM radio. For the next 6 months they kept calling and texting me offers. I reread the paperwork and in small letters it said that I may be contacted with future offers. From now on I will pay more attention. My tactic is to walk out the door when they refuse to budge on price. I haven't bought a car when demand was high but normally they call bad in a day or two with their new best offer. Another thing I'll do is take the financing or extended warranty as you have 30 days to cancel the warranty or pay off the loan.

I was at a local dealer today looking at SUV.
    Dealer tacks on $400 for Nitrogen tire inflation
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I always go in prepared for what I am willing to pay and I do not budge. Do the homework on price and taxes and will not hesitate to leave. My wife will not go with me as she hates the negotiating, I tell her there is none. I buy at my price or I dont buy. It always helps as I buy when I want a different vehicle not because I need one

I started buying a new car last year. I knew I wanted a Hybrid Pickup, and the one that made sense to me was the Ford Maverick.
    I called, then emailed each dealer within 150 Km, with a proposed build sheet. Base model, colour, engine, and the only 2 accessories I wanted; drop in bed liner and ridgid bed cover.
    I got a ton of faffing, and "call this salesman", and 80% no reply. BUT, I got 2 dealers with the exact same out the door price. Spoke to both sales agents: when I put in my order, one was on a day off break, and the other took my order.
    I got a VIN issued mid-May, with a projected build starting mid - July.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    How do you all handle it when you have a trade-in?
    From what I have read the sequence of events (so to speak) is finalize the price of the the vehicle you are buying, THEN negotiate the price for the trade-in.
    But twice now when buying a car I've experienced "we have to establish the trade-in price first."
    And I know why... the trade-in price will determine the price of the vehicle that is for sale.
    So for those of you that have trade-in, when the guy says "Do you have trade-in" how do you answer? "No", and then at the end say you "changed your mind? " .
    I sold Chevrolet trucks back in 1984/1985. I worked at a Chevy dealership (Bill Doraty).Even though I was hired into the truck department, I went through the same training as the other new people did for cars.

On day number 1 of our training - the owner of the dealership opened his welcome speech to us by relating this "fact" : "In their entire lifetime, the average person will sit down and negotiate the purchase of a new vehicle a dozen times. In your first week here, you will sit down and negotiate the purchase of a new vehicle, perhaps 4 times that number. Who do you think has the advantage"?

The message is - the dealership has seen and heard it all - and - that happened just this week!

The idea that you "got one over" on the dealership is simply put - just another sales tool.
    The actual fact of "getting a killer deal" is something made up with ground Unicorn horn.

I disclose the fact that I have a trade in 100% of the time if, in fact, I do have one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I was at a local dealer today looking at SUV.
    That's free at Costco....
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I sold Chevrolet trucks back in 1984/1985. I worked at a Chevy dealership (Bill Doraty).Even though I was hired into the truck department, I went through the same training as the other new people did for cars.

On day number 1 of our training - the owner of the dealership opened his welcome speech to us by relating this "fact" : "In their entire lifetime, the average person will sit down and negotiate the purchase of a new vehicle a dozen times. In your first week here, you will sit down and negotiate the purchase of a new vehicle, perhaps 4 times that number. Who do you think has the advantage"?

The message is - the dealership has seen and heard it all - and - that happened just this week!

The idea that you "got one over" on the dealership is simply put - just another sales tool.
    The actual fact of "getting a killer deal" is something made up with ground Unicorn horn.

I disclose the fact that I have a trade in 100% of the time if, in fact, I do have one.
    Amen. At the end of the day there are only two things that matter:

1. You are comfortable with the price that you are paying for the vehicle that you purchase.
    2. The dealer is comfortable selling at that price.

This is the system of pricing that they have chosen. You are responsible only for #1 in that list -- everything else is "their" problem. Market analytics, supply/demand trends, emotions, add-ons, "stand in the hot sun" tactics, "let me give your kid some candy", etc. do not matter in this system. You have to keep that in mind and be ready to walk away if your part of that is not satisfied -- the dealer certainly won't complete a deal if their part is not satisfied.

--Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's free at Costco....
    I noticed the local Costco just added tire inflation stations in two parking spots next to the tire center doors. I think they are nitrogen, but I didn't look close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I noticed the local Costco just added tire inflation stations in two parking spots next to the tire center doors. I think they are nitrogen, but I didn't look close enough.
    Yes, they are nitrogen. That's part of Costco's tire culture. I buy my tires from them, too...the install comes with lifetime rotation/balance and road hazard. The prices are excellent. The additional points/dollars on both my Executive Membership rebate and our Costco/Citi CC are also worthy.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    At my house, I use a custom mix of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, with just a little Argon, CO2, and Water Vapor (to improve flavor).

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    At my house, I use a custom mix of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, with just a little Argon, CO2, and Water Vapor (to improve flavor).
    Really... you have to wonder... Air is already almost 4:1 N to O.
    Does that ~20% of Oxygen make a such big difference in tire dynamics (I mean, as long as you're not driving the Indy 500...)
    And I just thought of a fun thing to do at the dealership when the salesman pushes the all nitrogen "air"...ask him how much of the earth's atmosphere is already Nitrogen.
    I predict the answer(s) to provoke much hilarity.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

With nitrogen the tires tend to leak (permeate) less air through the tire so your pressure tends to stay more consistent from month to month.