Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New car “ fees”. Yikes!

It feels so good to get a new car but the Dealership hypocrisy spoils it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I strolled by a showroom Jeep Gladiator about 3-4 months ago. I didn't write it down, but I recall dealer wanted $19k for the lift/tires/wheel package and another $19k for 'market normalization'. ...Oh, you want the vehicle too?!

But karma is a b!&#$... I am casually shopping and several seemingly credible sources are predicting a (car) market crash by year end. I can wait.
    I'd read that companies like Carvana and similar are sitting on inventory purchased at high prices and are of course not in a hurry to sell at a loss. Interest costs do add up though.

My favorite negotiating tactic is to bring a thick book (I found Tom Clancy novels work well), put my feet up on his desk, read the book, and never move. Not to go to the bathroom, get coffee, nothing. Just occupy his desk/selling space.

Usually 5-10 trips of the salesman to the only person who really counts (his sales manager), each time coming back for less and less money. I kill several hours of his day, and am squatting at his desk, so he can't take care of other customers. Pretty well works every time. Then telling him you'll pay cash at the end is great too.

A friend of mine has an even better tactic in South Florida. He takes the salesman outside, and never leaves outside. Always does this at the end of the month in brutal South Florida heat and humidity. He tells me after an hour or so, the salesman is begging him to buy the car. He said it's worked about a dozen times over the years.

Their time is their money. Waste as much of it as possible.

Really nice to buy a Tesla. Set price online, no negotiating, no haggling. Their offer for my used Tesla was way low. I asked him if it was negotiable. He said no. Went to CarMax and got $5K more.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'm thankful I don't have to do that kind of stuff to get the price I want. I walk in, knock on the sales manager's door and say I'm ready to buy the next one and will it be invoice price again? He says yes and the rest is more or less negotiation of the trade so I can decide if that's acceptable considering any sales tax benefit or if selling it elsewhere is the way to go. Then again, the vehicle I just ordered is the fifth that he's been involved with. And we got our dog Oliver there, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm thankful I don't have to do that kind of stuff to get the price I want. I walk in, knock on the sales manager's door and say I'm ready to buy the next one and will it be invoice price again? He says yes and the rest is more or less negotiation of the trade so I can decide if that's acceptable considering any sales tax benefit or if selling it elsewhere is the way to go. Then again, the vehicle I just ordered is the fifth that he's been involved with. And we got our dog Oliver there, too.
    Was Oliver a trade-in too, or low mileage?

I would go through the same nonsense buying a Lexus a long-while back after having bought 7 of them. Didn't change their approach one bit.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Was Oliver a trade-in too, or low mileage?
    Subaru is a big supporter of animal rescues, especially dogs. We met Oliver at the dealership showroom in mid-April. Took home a Chewbaru Outbark toy and some other swag and he showed up at our house the next day after a very swift adoption approval.

IMG_E4899.jpg

I would go through the same nonsense buying a Lexus a long-while back after having bought 7 of them. Didn't change their approach one bit.
    I don't take any of the all too frequent caa-caa that car dealer sales folks try to do. I cut it off really quickly and they either listen or I walk. Fortunately, I've not had that issue with the Subaru dealership and the same with their sister Jeep location not quite next door. I go in prepared, knowing what I want in detail and how much I'm willing to pay for it. I negotiate the trade in a similar way...I know what the range should be as well as what the vehicle is worth for private sale and sale to CarMax, etc. If they low-ball, I counter offer, but I do so without being ridiculous. There's no point in nickel and diming. I get something and they still get something. One of the reasons I deal with the sales manager (aside from knowing him a long time as he was our original sales person) is that the sales folks can't actually sell a car anyway...they have no decision making authority. So I bypass them and go right to the guy who can approve the deal I want.
    --

How do you all handle it when you have a trade-in?
    From what I have read the sequence of events (so to speak) is finalize the price of the the vehicle you are buying, THEN negotiate the price for the trade-in.
    But twice now when buying a car I've experienced "we have to establish the trade-in price first."
    And I know why... the trade-in price will determine the price of the vehicle that is for sale.
    So for those of you that have trade-in, when the guy says "Do you have trade-in" how do you answer? "No", and then at the end say you "changed your mind? " .
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Negotiate a final bottom line dollar value, all in, except taxes. You'll find out how bad they want the addons. I bought our last two cars online via email, after test driving them. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    From what I have read the sequence of events (so to speak) is finalize the price of the the vehicle you are buying, THEN negotiate the price for the trade-in.
    But twice now when buying a car I've experienced "we have to establish the trade-in price first."
    And I know why... the trade-in price will determine the price of the vehicle that is for sale.
    So for those of you that have trade-in, when the guy says "Do you have trade-in" how do you answer? "No", and then at the end say you "changed your mind? " .
    Yup. Otherwise they’ll &)@( you.

I can give you some hard figures on costs. I have a Tesla Model Y, on order, which should come about June 10th.

The additional charges are Registration $288 and License $347, both to DMV. Then there is an electronic filing fee of $31, tire fees (recycle) $7, and sales tax $4156.33. In other words, the dealer is charging me $31.

Other dealers are still upcharging for EV's like crazy. An absolute non starter for me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Tesla doesn't use dealerships. Completely different sales model.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post

It's simple. YOU control the conversation. If they ask about a trade in, simply say that you are there to work out the out the bottom line price for the vehicle configured the way you want it so you can consider it relative to other offers. (they don't need to know if or how many other offers you have) Don't say the word "trade". Don't say the word "finance". Don't say the word "Lease". And by all means do NOT say the words "monthly payment". You want the price of the vehicle. Everything else comes later. A trade is a form of payment and should not be part of the negotiation on the price of the vehicle. Financing and leasing are forms of payment and should not be part of the negotiation on the price of the vehicle. If they try to turn things back on those things, take control and simply say that those things are not part of the discussion you are interested in having now. If they bring it up again, don't be afraid to stand up, thank them for their time and walk out the door. Again, it's that simple.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Negotiate a final bottom line dollar value, all in, except taxes. You'll find out how bad they want the addons. I bought our last two cars online via email, after test driving them. Brian
    Me too Brian. Except I included taxes and license plates. Simple no stress way to buy a car. I documented it here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-from-Dealers
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Roger dodger, Jim. Thanks for the coaching.
    (Will use it late next year.)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Check out this father and son team on YouTube car edge https://caredge.com
    They really know what is going on in the car market with lots of goo info and data.
    The kid is kind of goofy but really know his stuff,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqzf0PvOnQ
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart