Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad point bits - Norseman, Fuller, LV, other?

Brad point bits - Norseman, Fuller, LV, other?

What's the latest opinion on a quality brad point set?

Norseman, Lee Valley, Fuller, or another?

I am looking at one of these small-diameter sets, and a few other singles in larger diameters.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=07J0112

https://www.holbren.com/bradpoint-dr...kaAvdOEALw_wcB

https://hardwickandsons.com/products...7d2783ba&_ss=r
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I've had quite a few sets over the years but the best one I use now is Fisch. And like any brand name quality product there are a lot of counterfeits out there. If you end up deciding on them make sure you purchase from a sponsored dealer.

Second vote for Fisch

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. I have a set of LV and a set of Norseman.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have that 14 piece Norseman set and it is good but I often find that I need the diameters that are missing from the set and they are not as easy to find as single bits as you might think. My guess is that Fuller and Lee Valley are similar. A long shank set would be nice.

I have the larger LV set and it's been fine. But, as was said above, when they break, it's not easy to find single bits.

I also have Norseman and Fisch bits (not brad point), and they both are very high quality.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Fuller . Mike O'Keefe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I have the larger LV set and it's been fine. But, as was said above, when they break, it's not easy to find single bits.
    I'm pretty sure that LV offers as singles every dia. bit included in their set, and then some - nearly 40 individual sizes.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 06-01-2023 at 9:47 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I'm pretty sure that LV offers as singles every dia. bit included in their set, and then some - nearly 40 individual sizes.
    Yes, and Fuller also offers all the replacements, plus several different lengths. I'm leaning towards Fuller mostly because then all my brad points will be one brand and they are easier to get replacements.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I've been happy with the LV set. But the nature of the scoring tips leaves them susceptible to heat damage, so it's a good idea to keep that in mind when using them.

It's not what you asked, but grinding your own brad points from twist drills is not as hard as it would seem. Here is a video put out by FWW with Michael Fortune where he demonstrates the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcwOBL0tTbc

Im happy with the LV set.

Does anyone have experience with WoodRiver? They're on sale in June.

I bought the Fisch set last month when on sale at woodcraft. I think they were like $50 off. So far I’m pleased with them. They’ve gone up in price but if they are real, Amazon has them got a deal.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Fisch Chrome Vanadium Wood Twist Drill Bits, 29-Piece Set, Imperial Sizes 1/16-1/2 Inches, FSF-364757 https://a.co/d/gCZhiUJ
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 06-01-2023 at 10:45 AM.

I got these from Lee Valley in 2018. They've been awesome. A little spendy for the kit but they are sharp and drill true. Not a single complaint.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    ........because then all my brad points will be one brand and they are easier to get replacements.
    OK - I am for sure not following your thoughts. How does owning 10 of a brand make it easier to replace #11?

I guess if the objective is to always have a matched set, then that fits.

And yet....when I needed to replace, or add, one forstner bit I took that as an opportunity to try a different high-quality brand. I switched allegiances because of that, Fisch to Colt And then years later, the same thing repeated itself.

I still have a few of my very original Fisch in my "spares" box, and my primary set is a mix of Colt Maxi-Cut and FAMAG pre-wave. All 3 brands are in the spares box - there is no bit too dull to drill a hole in pressure treated lumber. They seem to get along well in the box - no fistfights.

I have a mix of bradpoint as well - most are LV.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.