Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading a 14” bandsaw into a semi-trailer

Loading a 14” bandsaw into a semi-trailer

Hi all,

We are moving for the second time in 18 months - a development that I am not unhappy about as it gets us out of DC back to heat and humidity of Florida. I moved this bandsaw to DC 18 months ago and it was breeze using a POD. This time we are using a semi-trailer because PODs and similar services do not service the area we are moving to. I have to figure out how to load and unload this machine into the bed of a truck that sits 48” off the ground essentially by myself. Perhaps it’s a lack of imagination on my part, but I cannot come up with a way to safely load and unload the machine. Here is what I’m working with:

Me (moderately fit human)
    An 20” wide ramp that connects to the bottom of trailer and touches the ground below
    My spouse (a helpful person but I’m not risking her limbs in this operation)

FWIW a lift gate is not available and any neighbors that I might enlist are suspect (the kind of people that would show up in flip flops to “help” someone move).

I need a way to safely load and unload in a controllable manner. I would love any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas.

Thanks

Rent an appliance dolly, something like this:

Strongway Industrial Hand Truck 1,200lb. Capacity, Model# 67969 Northern Tool.jpg
    strap the bandsaw to it to help control it and keep it on the dolly. Then pull it up the ramp walking backward. That way if you lose control you aren’t between it and the ground.

Even better if you can remove the bandsaw from the stand or cabinet. Then it will be much lower center of gravity and super easy.

good luck!

Dolly, as shown. Pull the motor if you have to reduce the weight. Strap it to the dolly, resting on its spine. Piece of pie... with ice cream.

Try putting a Felder AD-741 and a KF-700 into a box van with a standard lift gate, on a non level driveway, all by your little old 160 lb self. Not without a couple fearful moments... and, I'll NEVER try that again.

I'm on the shed weight side, I've moved my 14" bandsaw a few times, easiest was to disassemble. Remove the blade, the blade guide and rail (mainly to prevent damage), the table, then separating the upper and lower halves is a bolt or two. It took me longer to groan about taking it apart than it did to actually do so. Since bandsaws are so top heavy, this made securing for moving easier too.
    My moves without taking it apart were rather awkward and along the lines of "this should work," but with a 48" height it's a tough one. If it's one of the long loading ramps, then yeah, invest in a rolling dolly. They're way more useful in moves than I thought they would be, I was in the Navy so I got the chance to move six times in seven years.

Remove the table first. then consider unbolting the top half. Image stolen from someone, somewhere of big oliver bandsaw.
    BilL D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Best View Post
    .......... the second time in 18 months - a development that I am not unhappy about as it gets us out of DC back to heat and humidity of Florida......neighbors are suspect (the kind of people that would show up in flip flops to “help” someone move)..

Tim - HOLY COW!! Don't be bashful....tell us what you REALLY think. I'm confident in my prediction that your colleagues and neighbors are going to be saddened to see your taillights.

Somehow these tidbits seem extraneous to your actual question, so I'll bypass them as irrelevant, as you did, and get right to the salient issue: The bandsaw is not worth the pain of your being delayed by the time it will take to load. Post it for sale on facebook marketplace for 25% of new. If no takers in 24 hours, just leave it at the curb. You have to save yourself.

Then Run, Forrest, Run! from DC back to the Panhandle. You'll be among friends there.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Do you have a personal vehicle going along in the move? If so, load the bandsaw in it and haul it with you instead of the moving truck.

Any chance of getting some day labor help? Maybe an outfit like this?

https://www.collegehunkshaulingjunk.com/labor/

Have everything disassembled and packed so when your help shows up they're ready to do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Any chance of getting some day labor help? Maybe an outfit like this?

https://www.collegehunkshaulingjunk.com/labor/

Have everything disassembled and packed so when your help shows up they're ready to do their thing.
    This. There is an existing and growing industry of local outfits that provide labor for moves, etc. At the very least, you can find them on the UHaul website and other places. I used this kind of service when our older daughter moved to her own apartment and the cost was very reasonable. So while the bandsaw is the focus of your question, consider using the labor to help with loading a bunch of stuff so you can just point. The same kind of service should be available at the other end, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, U-haul offers paid loaders at each end. See their web site for details. Any college town has students doing similar.
    A high school football/wrestling coach knows some good kids who can do it for you. Not sure I would trust a breakable machine to them. I assume u-haul has some insurance for the loaders.
    Bill D

Remove the table and the motor if it sticks out, strap it to a 3/4" piece of plywood and use a dolly like the one above.

I have moved my shop a few times cross country. One technique that you can use when working alone and don't have a dolly or a ramp- stand the bandsaw up at the back of the truck (48" may be a bit high, but it might work if the bed of the truck is a little lower) as close as you can. Pick up the base of the bandsaw and let top pivot into the truck. Then slide it in on its back. Get up in the truck, slide it all the way in, stand it back up, and secure to the wall with straps.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Yes, U-haul offers paid loaders at each end. See their web site for details.
    To be clear, these folks do not work for UHaul. They are independent businesses that use the UHaul site to push business toward them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks all for the responses.

Maybe rent a Genie lift?