Thread: front license plate

front license plate

I finally got new plates for my Nissan Frontier. The back plates were held by a screw with a square head so I could remove their using my impact drill. The ones in front however were held with with a slot head screw. When I used my impact drill with a flat screwdriver head it actually tore out the plastic holding the threaded clip. Now I've got a large hole with nothing to screw into. I've looked around and can't really find anything to use. One fellow used Velcro but I'm a little leery of that. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    A pastic anchor would likely do the job.

61-DaZsoTpL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Should be available in many sizes at your local hardware store and in some grocery stores.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A rivnut would work much better. And there are ways to install them without a special tool.

Zip tie.
    bill D

How big is the hole? I would probably use a pop pin like the bumper cover is held on with, but I have a big assortment of sizes.

plate holder.jpg As you can see the hole at the top is pretty large. You can see where the rectangle that held the clip is broken out. I'm thinking of just drilling two new holes in the plate and attaching them with self tapping screws.

Drill holes in the ends of the license plate lower than the top holes, and use those instead of the top normal holes.

Fender washers

VHB tape.

The front license plate frame on my new car came un-attached (some states don't require it, and apparently some don't like the look of it, so it's user-install optional), and to attach it, it was just provided with 2 strips of VHB tape.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm overthinking this a bit. I found out it's legal to drill holes in the plate as long as you don't obstruct the numbers. The truck is a wood hauler so sees some rough territory at times. Thanks again.