Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel injector cleaning - necessary or beneficial ??

I've had 2 vehicles in the (way) past that developed injector issues, 1984 Turbocharged Buick Regal T-type (bought new), and a 1984 turbocharged Chrysler LeBaron (bought used)-- both cars got to a point they wouldn't pass an emissions test--the T-type had its injectors pulled and installed in the shop's injector cleaner on Friday before they went home for the weekend, where pure acetone was forced thru them the entire weekend. About 10am that next Monday I got a call, telling me 4 injectors are 'working better', but 2 needed to be replaced. DID make a big difference--

The LeBaron, which wouldn't pass an emissions test due to the O2 sensor not being able to compensate for the dirty injectors, the (different) shop suggested a rail-flush, no injector removal necessary... And they did run the car while they did the flush, about 3 minutes of pure white clouds of smoke from the exhaust. I had a ride home so I didn't get to see the whole procedure, but when done it passed emissions with flying colors and ran fantastic...

HOWEVER, back in those days, I was told by mechanics that Chevron gas was causing injector issues, problem with their Techron or something...

Anyway, I can say that both procedures worked. And I can also say, that since I've never had another injector cleaned in my life since the Ttype and LeBaron, including the injectors in my 2002 Ford F-250 I bought new and still own. Still runs like new-- of course, it just barely hit 64,000 miles last month, but that issue could lean either way; low miles means low usage, but low usage sometimes leads to gummy deposits building up.

So I would say, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'... And I did learn a way, with the LeBaron, to tell if injectors are dirty: When the mechanic did the emissions test on the LeBaron, he showed me how he knew the injectors, in his opinion, needed cleaning: He was holding a gauge that was reading the 02 sensor's voltage, and while idling, the needle would slowly but noticeably swing back and forth slightly over the course of about 5 seconds- he explained that the sensor and ECM were constantly trying to adjust the fuel delivery to keep the 02 levels constant, and couldn't because one or more injectors either couldn't keep up with the needed flow, and/or injectors can get to a point the put out a 'pee stream' rather than a fine spray... a pee stream of fuel won't atomize as it should...

Or just get an emissions test, if your car passes, your injectors are likely fine...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The manual for my new Kia Niro with direct injection calls for either using only top tier gas or adding a bottle of injector cleaner to the tank every 8k miles. With direct rather than port injection the valves tend to get gunked up more. Around here the only top tier stations seem to be Chevron.

one performance friend said he just uses shell V power in his cars and bikes chainsaw and and, never has issues. Ive used it since that talk and watched you tubes. Some say makes no difference but did see one at one point where they did testing took stuff apart and compared and proved it was cleaner. I use it for all and just pay even in the saturn. harder to swallow on the truck with a 411 rear. The truck is old and for some old stuff there is always the reality of ethanol and gaskets and supposed to be none in the V power and few others. Id have to look it up again. Will want to find out how to take out and clean injectors on one wally wagon with the older LT-1 motors.

It is easy to test if gas has alcohol in it.
    Get a glass cylinder like a test tube (doesn't have to be that shape but it is easy to deal with and wastes less gas)
    Fill it part way up with the gas to be tested and mark the level on the cylinder.
    Add roughly an equal amount of water, cover end and shake
    When it settles the gas level should be the same if there is no alcohol. If gas is lower and the water volume has increased then there was alcohol in the gas - the shaking caused the alcohol to bind with the water.

I run a tank of non-ethanol through the gas burners every once in a while, and sometimes run 2-stroke oil in the diesel.

I had to replace the injectors in the Duramax after 13 years and 230,000 miles. There was a leaking injector problem with the first generation Duramax injectors. The seller recommended running 2-stroke oil for the first few tanks. I still do a couple of times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Reminds me of the time I took my car in for a small coolant leak. First thing out of the mouth of the mechanic was "please tell me you didn't put stop leak in it".
    Radiator stop leak was / is known to plug up the radiator internal tubes.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I like the old words of wisdom.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

On the other side of this using top tier fuels or running a pint of injector cleaner through the system may be good preventative measures.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)