Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adhesive tape removal

Adhesive tape removal

Any ideas of removing very stick tape from bare wood?

My customer applied Siga Rissan tape to air lock the inside of his raw wood windows, unfortunately before I was involved. So I need some ideas of how to remove the tape so I can install jamb extensions. Siga tape is high quality and permanent, so there is nothing in there TDS about removal methods. I’d prefer mechanical means but would consider chemical and wear a mask.

IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3902.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 05-30-2023 at 12:28 PM.

I've only had to do something like this once before and I used an orbital sander and a hand-held Milwaukee M12 sander pad shaped like a baseball home-plate to remove it.

VM&P naptha generally works well in dissolving adhesives.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I've only had to do something like this once before and I used an orbital sander and a hand-held Milwaukee M12 sander pad shaped like a baseball home-plate to remove it.
    We’ve tried using the Festool RO 90 but we can get only several inches before the abrasive disc is clogged. Nature of the beast?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    VM&P naptha generally works well in dissolving adhesives.
    The most frustrating thing is that the tape doesnt pull off without breaking, so I’m wondering how we’d penetrate the plastic layer to get to the adhesive.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    We’ve tried using the Festool RO 90 but we can get only several inches before the abrasive disc is clogged. Nature of the beast?
    Yea, unfortunately that was my experience too. I used 60 grit which held up pretty well but I was paranoid to bring in chemicals lest I ruin the dresser which was an antique. I have no experience with any chemical, but anything that will eat tape can eat other stuff too, or penetrate the wood permanently, so tread carefully.

Razor blade, sharp scraper.

I would be tempted to try 3M adhesive remover in a small inconspicuous area, but I would also be tempted to try a Cubitron 3M Stripe Off adhesive remover wheel https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remo...735745294&th=1
    I've used these for automotive work but never thought about using it on wood until you brought it up... I would test it for you but I don't have one at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    The most frustrating thing is that the tape doesnt pull off without breaking, so I’m wondering how we’d penetrate the plastic layer to get to the adhesive.

Paper Tiger: https://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-2976-.../dp/B0002YWWJG
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I wonder if liquid nitrogen and a quick sanding while frozen would not clog the abrasive. Would dry ice be cold enough?
    Bill D.

I have had a devil of a time trying to remove adhesive left on glass. The windows had manufacturers stickers on the glass. About half of them leave nasty adhesive. With Naptha, I have to scrub really hard progress is very slow. Also tried Goof off, same result.

Warm it with a super low setting on heat gun, or hair dryer. You'll still have some adhesive to get off with Goof-off

Utility knife to slice it, and this scraper to clean it off where it has to come off.

https://www.floorsupplies.net/produc...hoCoFYQAvD_BwE

6 or 8 inch smooth file to sharpen it.

https://www.zoro.com/simonds-mill-fi...hoC-N0QAvD_BwE

Have you tried a heat gun?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I believe I'd contact the manufacturer and see what they can recommend.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon