Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AI or web search answers

AI or web search answers

There's been a lot of discussion about how "smart" the Chat AI programs are.

Here is what it returned today after a simple question we recently discussed on this forum, you decide if it's smart enough to take jobs and destroy humanity.

Question, What qualities make beech a good choice for a hand plane

Answer

• Beech is an excellent choice for a hand plane due to its many desirable properties. Here are some reasons why:

1. Hardness: Beech is a hardwood and is known for its hardness, which allows it to resist wear and tear, making it perfect for use in woodworking tools like hand planes.

2. Stability: Beech is a stable wood that is not prone to warping or shrinking, which ensures that your hand plane will remain flat and true over time.

3. Grain: The grain of beech is straight and fine, making it easy to work with and ideal for creating smooth surfaces.

4. Toughness: Beech is tough and durable, which means that it can withstand heavy use and will last a long time. This is especially important for hand planes that need to endure repeated blows from a mallet.

5. Availability: Beech wood is widely available and relatively affordable, making it an excellent choice for hand plane makers and woodworkers.

The AI response seems better put together than most of the junk you find on the internet these days. Do a general search for something like “what is the best router to buy” and most of the review/recommend type sites look like they were written in a foreign language and then translated to English. They don’t flow and they seem like a kindergartner wrote many of them.

"4. Toughness: Beech is tough and durable, which means that it can withstand heavy use and will last a long time. This is especially important for hand planes that need to endure repeated blows from a mallet.

I wonder the AI source for this

Last edited by Mike Soaper; 05-30-2023 at 4:44 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Could be me, when I first started using a hand plane there were times threatening to bash the thing with a mallet was spoken out loud. !

Beech was cheap, so it got used for a lot of stuff. All the old books said make your woodworking benches out of beech. But Honduras
    mahogany, and rosewood work well too !

I’m assuming they are referring to striking the body of the plane to set or adjust the blade. https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com...wooden-planes/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    "4. Toughness: Beech is tough and durable, which means that it can withstand heavy use and will last a long time. This is especially important for hand planes that need to endure repeated blows from a mallet.

I wonder the AI source for this

I find these results to be underwhelming.
    All I can glean is that the AI searched the web, instead of me doing it. The difference is, I can discern the info from the nonsense.
    1. Hardness: Beech is a hardwood and is known for its hardness.
    Seriously?
    It took me a minute to digest what the heck it was saying about the mallet. I use a small wooden mallet on my chisels but I tap it for adjustment, I don't consider it to be "repeated blows from a mallet"
    I won't even go into the Stability portion.

I did another query, I asked, "how to cut a mortise and tenon joint".

Cutting a mortise and tenon joint involves using a chisel, saw, and possibly a router to create the necessary cuts. Here is a basic guide:

Materials and tools needed:
    - Wood for the joint
    - Chisel
    - Saw (preferably a tenon saw)
    - Router (optional)
    - Pencil
    - Tape measure or ruler
    - Clamps

Instructions:

1. Measure and mark the locations of the mortise and tenon on the wood pieces. It's important to take accurate measurements, as the joint won't fit properly if they're off.

2. Cut the tenon first. Use a saw to create the shoulder cut, which is the part that fits against the other piece. Then, use a chisel to remove the remaining wood from the cheeks and face of the tenon until it fits snugly into the mortise.

3. Next, cut the mortise. Use a chisel to carve out the mortise space in the second piece of wood. You can also use a router to remove the bulk of the wood, and then finish with a chisel for more precision.

4. Test fit the joint before gluing. Be sure everything fits together snugly, but not too tight.

5. Apply glue to the tenon and insert it into the mortise. Clamp everything together and allow the glue to dry thoroughly before removing the clamps.

With practice and patience, anyone can master the art of cutting perfect mortises and tenons.

Now surely anyone who says to cut the tenon first has an agenda to destroy all humanity, this is absolute proof.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/artifi...risk-1.6859118

There was a new item this past week where an attorney tried to be lazy and not do their own research...asked the friendly online AI for case citations...put them into the court proceedings...and they were all wrong.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I heard that it was citing cases that didn't exist.
    Maybe it looked through the 20+ years of Law & Order TV show and found some, who knows.
    Not ready for prime time if you ask me, still needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There was a new item this past week where an attorney tried to be lazy and not do their own research...asked the friendly online AI for case citations...put them into the court proceedings...and they were all wrong.
    Wait until some bright techy types start pushing for AI to make medical diagnoses ...yikes!
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Wait until some bright techy types start pushing for AI to make medical diagnoses ...yikes!
    A thought that terrifies doctors.

I read an article today that a weight loss web site fired all its humans and switched to AI. It's responses, to say the least, were pretty concerning. They are now rethinking their approach after many complaints.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thart was an interesting story. There's a sanctions hearing on June 7th (if I remember correctly). The attorney is responsible - he can't pass the blame to AI.

In a situation like this, the judge is going to have a clerk look up the cases - he has to read them to see if they apply. And the opposing council is going to look them up to argue against them. No way to pass them off as real.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Thart was an interesting story. There's a sanctions hearing on June 7th (if I remember correctly). The attorney is responsible - he can't pass the blame to AI.

In a situation like this, the judge is going to have a clerk look up the cases - he has to read them to see if they apply. And the opposing council is going to look them up to argue against them. No way to pass them off as real.

Mike
    I thought that the AI was going to replace us lowly humans. Now it seems that us carbon based life forms need to fact check the work of the AI.

So AI has replaced some jobs but due to it's inaccuracies and need to verify it's conclusions, it's also created some as well.

If you dig into that story, the attorney asked the AI if all the cases were real and the AI assured him that they were and could be found on legal databases. Total lie. They were just made up.

How'd you like to have an assistant that lied to you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If you dig into that story, the attorney asked the AI if all the cases were real and the AI assured him that they were and could be found on legal databases. Total lie. They were just made up.

How'd you like to have an assistant that lied to you.

Mike
    If AI is truly sentient, then no wonder it lied.
    If it had answered that the cases were not real, only hypothetical(?), it would lose credibility for certain.
    If it lied but was betting that its answer wouldn't be checked, there was at least the possibility that it would maintain credibility.
    Given those choices, it lied so as to "keep its job." Many humans would reason in exactly the same way.

So now we have very powerful AI, or AI [eventually] put in charge of very momentous decisions, and it behaves just like a fallible mortal...except the fallout (grim pun intended) can be so much worse. **
    Yep, scary indeed. Very, very scary.

** "I'm sorry, Dave; I'm afraid I can't do that."
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 06-02-2023 at 12:22 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”