Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No-Hardware Box Bottom Solution

Maybe the bottom should be fixed and the top removable. I’m sure it could be done in an attractive manner.

One way would be to put a frame around the top. One end of the mitered frame is not glued to the rest of the frame, but attached to the top which slides into a groove. When too is in place, the frame is completed. Seems like Derek has done this if I recall correctly. Just can’t remember on what.

I’m sure there are many other ways to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    Maybe the bottom should be fixed and the top removable. I’m sure it could be done in an attractive manner.

One way would be to put a frame around the top. One end of the mitered frame is not glued to the rest of the frame, but attached to the top which slides into a groove. When too is in place, the frame is completed. Seems like Derek has done this if I recall correctly. Just can’t remember on what.

I’m sure there are many other ways to do it.
    Here are two ...

Turned around for integrated pull ..

Open ...

Pencil box ...

I think that the last example is the one to use. Add a slot in the lid for tissues. Place the tissue box in the box.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Here are two ...

Turned around for integrated pull ..

Open ...

Pencil box ...

I think that the last example is the one to use. Add a slot in the lid for tissues. Place the tissue box in the box.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I think Derek’s second box is exactly what I was thinking is the perfect solution to this thread. I’ve never wanted a tissue box, but I may just have to make one if I ever I finish my bathroom vanity. Or perhaps it will be a box for a hand tool.

I like the idea of a box that has a bottom and no top that is a piston fit of another box that is slightly larger which fits over the top. This part of the box will have the top with the tissue opening with no bottom and slides very nicely over the bottom box. I did a quick Google search of this design and didn't come up with anything. But I have seen this style of box done and have seen it as a tissue box holder. Hopefully my description makes sense.

There are some neat ideas on Mountain Woodworker's website Not sure if it's ok to post a link to his website but here goes nothing.
    https://www.mountainwoodworker.com/a...tissue_box.pdf

Sorry for the delayed response.

Jack - I love this wooden spring idea /design. In this instance it may not be as simple as I was looking for but I will certainly use it again. Is there any good resource on simple wooden mechanisms for cabinetry I wonder?

Frederick - Both good ideas. I look into both for my solution. I was think of a hardwood in terms of wood movement for friction fit, but as you suggest this is not an issue if I was using ply as I originally indicated.

Tony, thanks for the pdf - lots of great info/tips there.

John. This sounds promising, I'll experiment, but would the bottom not require an angle for insertion which would mean it was obstructed by the in-situ tissue box? Or are you talking about 2 strips per side? You're correct of course about the wood movement. Thanks.

Gary / Derek, I've actually made the same style of box as Dereks before and like it, but wanted a not rabbeted box on this occasion.

Really appreciate all of the replies. Lots to learn.