Thread: Domino height in table top glue up

Domino height in table top glue up

Doing a glue up of 74" long pieces for a 30" wide table top. Using domino tenon's to help line up height of top across the joints. All the lumber was milled the same thickness on the final pass through the planer. Made sure to final joint the mating edges alternately on the jointer to allow for any variation in 90 degrees. Made sure to square the domino and keep pressure against the top as I made the mortises. Mortises were 2-1/2" from either end, one in the middle and 12-13" between those on either side. 7 mortises in total across each face.

Did a test on some scrap pieces and got a smooth joint. I made sure not to turn a board over inadvertatly. I still get height variation across the joints? I am sure I can clean it up, but....

Not sure what I might be doing incorrectly.

Thanks for any input.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

I would just put all faces down ,on a flat surface covered with plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would just put all faces down ,on a flat surface covered with plastic.
    Mel, help me understand the why? Thanks brian

Were you using the fence, registering off the upper faces?

I’ve found in a recent project gluing 3 boards to get a final glue up to get a final 15”X60” top that unless the boards stay perfectly flat from rough milling through final gluing there is always some small misalignment. In the past I’ve always use Dominos to align the boards along the joints. It’s always worked almost perfectly. This time at least one of the boards cupped enough end to end that when gluing it was a challenge to get them together. As always I make sure the Dominos are all the same distance from one side, usually what will be the top. In the end I made it work although the end result is a 15” wide board which is just barely thick enough. I think the key would have to mill them to rough thickness, cut the Domink slots, and glue them all together as a single task. I didnt have time for that so did it over a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Doing a glue up of 74" long pieces for a 30" wide table top. Using domino tenon's to help line up height of top across the joints. All the lumber was milled the same thickness on the final pass through the planer. Made sure to final joint the mating edges alternately on the jointer to allow for any variation in 90 degrees. Made sure to square the domino and keep pressure against the top as I made the mortises. Mortises were 2-1/2" from either end, one in the middle and 12-13" between those on either side. 7 mortises in total across each face.

Did a test on some scrap pieces and got a smooth joint. I made sure not to turn a board over inadvertatly. I still get height variation across the joints? I am sure I can clean it up, but....

Not sure what I might be doing incorrectly.

Thanks for any input.

Thanks.

Brian
    You don't say how much height variation you are seeing. Even keeping pressure down at the fence, slight variations at the back of the Domino can cause angular differences that show up as height variations. When plunging, hold the bottom of the rear of the Domino, rather than trying to use the handle. If you are just seeing a few thou difference, finish your glue up, clean up with a card scraper, and move on. More than that, something is wrong - perhaps a loose fence.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Brian , I’m not sure either ! My impression was you wanted to get all the pieces glued flat as possible. If all the dominoes were cut
    from “ face side” then the boards should line up pretty flat …If those of us in the audience ain’t getting it ….YELL LOUDER ! No matter
    how carefully material is prepared the thicknesses will vary some. Even the old biscuit cutters can help.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    You don't say how much height variation you are seeing. Even keeping pressure down at the fence, slight variations at the back of the Domino can cause angular differences that show up as height variations. When plunging, hold the bottom of the rear of the Domino, rather than trying to use the handle. If you are just seeing a few thou difference, finish your glue up, clean up with a card scraper, and move on. More than that, something is wrong - perhaps a loose fence.
    James, this feels like what might be off. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Place boards face down on table saw. Remove fence from Domino. make shim pack for the domino machine to get the cut at desired height above sawtable. Much more accurate then using the little fence on the machine. Tool is less likely to tip etc.
    BilLD

I had this problem. The fence can creep because the tightening lever cannot be turned enough. A Seneca Domiplate cured it. I have installed the tightening lever mod also but I haven’t used it yet.
    Charlie Jones

Also make sure there isn't any sawdust between the fence and the wood. It doesn't take much to make it a little off.