Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick adjusting vise worn out?

I don't know of a source for this part. I would also imagine that it's likely you may need to replace it with one from the company that originally manufactured it just in case the threads of the shaft were slightly different. In my case, I went cheap for my first quick release and bought the version from Woodcraft which was made in China. It didn't seem worth it to try to find out how to get that replacement part. What wore out for me was the little extension nipples on the ends of that piece. It kept falling out of my vise. A friend wrapped zip ties around each end where the nut fits into the vise frame. That actually worked for awhile. If that's what is wrong with yours that is worth a shot. The zip ties keep the nut in place. You just have to be careful that you don't restrict the movement of the nut when installing the zip ties; just catch the ends to keep them from falling out.

I get the vise second hand and I don't see any manufacturers markings. I think that getting one from the manufacturer is not going to be an option. Stinks to toss it, but that seems like where this is headed as the vise is completely unusable as it is.

I have an old pattern makers vise, but haven’t used it much in retirement. To quickly open , or close it by sliding ,instead of turning the
    handle; you turn it to where it slides. I’m guessing that something is not aligning , and I know they can do that.

If the vise worked when you got but doesn’t now then ignore what I say below. However if it never worked then it’s possible that the nut is on backwards. Disassemble and reassemble with the nut turned around and on the other side of the screw. Also it’s possible that the plate is installed under your bench with the wrong side toward the outside edge of your bench. Having just installed a Rockler quick release to replace my old vise a YouTube video made it clear that this was important since the nut references off a “lip” on this under bench plate. Just a thought. Sometimes it’s the things that aren’t obvious and aren’t clear from the instructions. May or may not apply to your vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    If the vise worked when you got but doesn’t now then ignore what I say below.
    It never worked. There were some washers in a odd place (some hack added by someone along the way). I removed them and it still doesn't work.

However if it never worked then it’s possible that the nut is on backwards. Disassemble and reassemble with the nut turned around and on the other side of the screw.
    The nut only fits on the threads one way. It is impossible to be on backwards.

Also it’s possible that the plate is installed under your bench with the wrong side toward the outside edge of your bench. Having just installed a Rockler quick release to replace my old vise a YouTube video made it clear that this was important since the nut references off a “lip” on this under bench plate. Just a thought. Sometimes it’s the things that aren’t obvious and aren’t clear from the instructions. May or may not apply to your vise.
    Plate? What plate? The HF vise doesn't have a plate.

The vise doesn't work whether mounted or bench tested. Curious about this "plate" you are referring to.